Community building

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Will Oliphant, Jun 3, 2022.

1. Will Oliphant

Will Oliphant New Member

Jun 3, 2022

Hey folks,
    So I live and work in a small town in Wisconsin and I don't know about y'all, but COVID and isolation really has put a dent in the sense of community we had at the school where I teach. I was thinking of possibly a giant school hall painting project to be done with kids where each subject matter customizes the walls near their classrooms. For example ELA could do books that are important to their subject, or fictional characters, French could do re-creations of Monet's works. But the important part of this is that the staff and students would do this together. I was wondering if anyone on here had some resources or testimonies that would help me sell the idea to the principal and the board.

Also I do apologize if this is not the correct thread for this.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2022

First, you have chosen to create your thread in the best possible category, so thumbs up on that. The district that my son attended actually did something very similar to what you are proposing about 25 years ago, and there are parts of that art work that still exists in one form or another after all of the time that has passed. The brain child of our project was artistic herself, and she also had support from PTA members who had worked on prior projects she had proposed, which gave her an edge when this project was proposed. The project that you are proposing should benefit if you can get some influential individuals on board early on. I would suggest having several solid suggestions, possibly with examples of art work that can help those who may be uncertain about how your run of the mill community members, parents, staff, and students could turn suggested art work into viewable "examples", which could provide you a way to show all the different ways that individuals could become participants, no matter what their talent level as an actual artist. I know that we had parents involved who interacted with local businesses, and companies that employed the student's parents, family members, etc. Sometimes the community businesses and other organizations were able to donate supplies, give discounts on supplies used in the art work, give recognition of the project and parents and family members who were active participants, help get the word out about the project, the goals, and find ways to help get the word out through flyers, company newsletters, promoting community service by signs and flyers, and some even gave shout outs when they were advertising on radio, local news, or company events notifications. Churches shared information in their newsletters, adding photos on their websites, bulletins, etc. I would think that in this day and age, the school district should be able to "exhibit" information about the who, what, when, and where of the project, which will help create enthusiasm and excitement about the project, the people involved, and progress as it occurs. Pictures are your friend, because they "show" what is going on, and they can be impromptu, casual, feature the volunteers and students who are on board, and everyone, for the most part, likes to be pictured doing something that is good for the school, good for the kids, and good for the community.

Accept my best wishes that you can get the ball rolling on your proposed project, and that the community can come away with a real win. No amount of participation is too big or too small, and your timing would seem, to me, to be perfect. Please let us know how this experiment in building community spirit turns out.

upload_2022-6-5_4-56-36.png

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    Will Oliphant likes this.
  4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 6, 2022

I don't have any advice but it sounds like a fun project.

5. nedayedarun

nedayedarun New Member

Jun 8, 2022

Thanks for sharing such a great information

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 8, 2022

I think building community is a fantastic idea. One thing is make sure you have a lot of buy in from others. When coming up with community building ideas it is best to see that there is a lot of agreement and excitement. What you might see as a great idea won't work if there is a lot of apathy or opposition. Discuss, survey, or use other methods to find out how all stakeholders feel about the idea before pursuing it. Good luck to you!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. Paris23

Paris23 Rookie

Jun 15, 2022

Turning walls into personalized murals is a good idea. Under the circumstances (COVID recovery if you will), it’s an even better idea. Run the idea by as many people as you can, as that will build some quiet momentum for your project. Don’t let anyone talk you out of it, because no matter what the project, there will always be a naysayer here or there.

8. mariielons1

mariielons1 Rookie

Jul 10, 2022

thanks for that information

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2022

We had an artist come in and design murals with the kids, then worked with them to create the murals. They were in common areas.

nstructor likes this.
  10. EA Publications

EA Publications New Member

Jul 11, 2022

Thanks for great information