Community Building Activities :)

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by mimiarn, Aug 27, 2010.

1. mimiarn

mimiarn Rookie

Aug 27, 2010

Hi
    I just got a new position and I will be teaching resource room English 11. I am excited and nervous for the big change. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good community building activities to do with high school students. I think it is going to be important to establish relationships!
    Thanks in advance! :)

3. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 28, 2010

One fun thing I did last year was to give each kid a paper bag and have them put 5 things in it that said something about them, but nothing personally identifiable. Then we took turns picking bags, showing contents and trying to guess who they belonged to. (The kids were a lot better at the guessing than I was.) This will work really well if you have a smaller class size. The ones we did were fun but we never got through all of them with my class of 33+.

4. mimiarn

mimiarn Rookie

Aug 31, 2010

Thanks...that does sound fun!

5. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 31, 2010

Agree Disagree. Have one side of the room agree and the other disagree. Read out a statement and let the kids go to whichever side reflects their feelings. Let them share and change their mind. This is a great spot for ethical questions and questions that have n right answer.