Community Based Instruction Activities

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by arnolamy, Jul 5, 2009.

1. arnolamy

arnolamy Rookie

Jul 5, 2009

Hello- I am going into my second year of teaching and I need some new ideas for getting my students out into the community. I teach a self-contained 'middle school' classroom and I have two para-pros, one of them drives the bus that we use (spoiled...I know)!! We work at a grocery store one day a week and usually go out at least one other day. I work in a very small community so my ideas are running out! If anyone has any good ideas I would really appreciate it!
    Thanks, Amy

3. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 5, 2009

Car dealership - maybe help with cleaning vehicles up for placement on the lot?

4. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 5, 2009

Amy, I'm in the same boat you are. Trying to come up with ideas myself. That's pretty good that you're going to the store every week though!

Do you have access to a local restaurant that you could take the kids to? Maybe they would give you a special group rate and you could ask the parents for monetary help? Or hold a bake sale or something to raise money and go? Right now I'm in the process of trying to come up with profitable vocational projects my kids can do at school to raise money so we can get a bus for at least one field trip.

I'm anxious to hear what you come up with though. :)

5. iheartsped

iheartsped Rookie

Jul 5, 2009

Maybe once a month you guys can hold a car wash?

For something that can be done on campus that raises funds..how about a bake potato sale? The life skills class at my school does this and it's a huge hit. They also are in charge of all of the vending machines.

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2009

Our secondary kids stock shelves at Staples. It is all "monitored" and "coached," of course.

They also work at a gym folding towels.

They also fold silverware sets at a local Chilis.

These are all "ongoing" jobs in which we have special arrangements with the companies. It works out great for the kids because they are exposed to an array of vocational settings.

Other ideas:
    Helping at an office (maybe your HR / district office - sorting mail, putting labels on envelopes, putting envelopes in mailboxes, getting new teacher packets together, etc.)

Grocery shopping to get food items for cooking projects

Our students also do "office supply shopping" at Staples on some days - teachers can fill out a form and put money in an envelope and the kids "buy" the items by reading the lists, matching, with help from paras/teachers and come back and deliver them to teachers.

More ideas to come.

7. spedtchr

spedtchr Rookie

Jul 5, 2009

Things I have seen at schools I've worked:

Walmart- Each child had a different job, one bagged groceries, one was a greeter at the door, one helped stock shelves

Target-I was told they have a corporate policy not to let students work there :) I'm not sure if this is true, or if I just got an angry Target employee that day, haha...

Golden Corral (and other similar restaurants)- The students all had different jobs, some cleaned tables, some worked in the kitchen, some greeted customers, refilled/cleaned the ice machines, etc.

Churches- clean up on Mondays, organizing the aisles, vaccuuming, cleaning sunday school rooms, and putting together the bulletins for the next week.

Daycare/Preschool: Help with snack time

I tried taking my class to a plant nursery, but it didn't work out so well. I think it was mainly that the nursery wasn't really ready to have us, but they were nice to try :) If you could find somewhere that was a little more organized it might work out well.

Public Library: I'm not sure what the class did there, but probably helped move books and sort mail or fold paperwork, etc.

As far as leisure activities... Bowling, movies, going out to eat, Post Office, Recycling center, etc.

We went out to eat with my class about once a month, and tried to find places that were relatively cheap for the parents. The parents would contribute $5 a month toward going to eat. A lot of the places would give us free drinks, if we called in advance.

Good luck! I know a lot of this has to do with how willing the businesses are to work with you. I hope you can find some people who will be helpful in your community!

8. arnolamy

arnolamy Rookie

Jul 6, 2009

Thanks for all the replys!!! We do alternate between a bake sale and a popcorn sale everyweek. That does help bring in lots of money. I like the bake potato idea...was it just for staff or all of the students???

I will also look into local churches and restaurants. That would be great!
    Thanks agian

9. iheartsped

iheartsped Rookie

Jul 9, 2009

Staff too.