Community Based Field Trips

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by krisaustin, Oct 30, 2008.

1. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Oct 30, 2008

I teach students with severe autism. The students are in K-2 grade. My district gave me permission to take my students on community based field trips once a month. This will begin in January.

I am not sure what type of field trips to take my students on. In third grade the students will begin going to the grocery store for weekly shopping trips. So I would like to take them on other community based trips.

Just wondering if anyone eles takes their students on similiar trips. If so where do you go within the community.

Thanks

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Oct 30, 2008

When I worked for Migrant Head Start, we took the children on a LOT of field trips.

library
    fire station
    goat farm
    turkey farm
    pumpkin patch
    apple orchard
    grocery store
    swimming pool
    nature park
    Auntie Anne's pretzel shop
    COSI - Center of Science and Industry
    zoo
    post office

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 30, 2008

You might want to check with them to make sure what they consider "community based" field trips. When I took my students on their community based field trips, we were unable to go to the farm, fire station, swimming pool... b/c they were considered field trips. Our community based field trips included things such as Target, Walmart, trips to restaurants, trips to the mall.... We practiced money skills, map skills (in the mall), ordering in restaurants, paying for items, acting in an appropriate manner in public, waiting patiently and quietly in line/for our food orders... We got tours in places and my students had to prepare questions to ask ahead of time to ask the workers or tour guide...

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2008

My students go out to eat quite frequently as a community based field trip. They learn social skills, patience, practice their reading skills, as well as their math skills. They learn about cultures when they try new foods. Its the ultimate field trip!

6. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Oct 30, 2008

I'm surprised you weren't able to do the fire station...we did it as community awareness and also since my students are looking at career education which is also why we went to the fire station...what part of this job could you do? would you like to work at a fire station, etc

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 30, 2008

I taught a K-2 mild autism class, so we were no where near career education:D. Our kg. and first graders usually went to the fire station on a field trip, which is why I think it was not considered a community skills field trip.

8. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Oct 30, 2008

Our school is nearby to a really neat nursury and produce market (the kind that sells plants). It is really small and not many people are there during the day so it's great to go over there and see all of the plants, fresh fruit and veggies, and practice money skills.

Nicole

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 30, 2008

Have you gone to a bank yet? One of the older grades went and they were taken into the vault and shown how to write and balance check books. I believe some of them even opened accounts.

10. Rockys_Mom

Rockys_Mom Rookie

Nov 1, 2008

I taught higher grades, but a lot of our activities could be changed for different levels:

- Public library (locating the children's area, appropriate books, etc)
    - $1 store- usually not too busy and most families can afford to send a few dollars for a purchase
    - high school plays- a local high school would do an afternoon show of their spring musical for elementary students and we'd attend
    - restaurants INCLUDING sit down- it amazes me how many children do not get to go to sit down restaurants. Denny's, Perkins, or a Mom and Pop joint are usually good for this. We'd go mid morning. . 10ish or mid afternoon; 1ish, to avoid rushes.

- police stations/fire dept/post office- all important places, especially the police station.

- If you can manage it; Dr's office, dentist office, health clinic. I know a lot of my students have dr's office anxiety and going for a non-checkup sometimes helps.

- Bowling is always a good one :)

Just a few that I've done or am currently doing with students :)

11. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Nov 2, 2008

We have not, YET, but we have it on our plan. I do plan to have a check book writing program implemented in the Spring where the kids earn money for coming to school, doing homework, etc. and then it cost them to do other things. So it would be a great start to this program to go to the bank with them.:thumb: