Communities within communities...activities to demonstrate this concept?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissaG, Jul 18, 2007.

1. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 18, 2007

Does anyone have any good ideas to demonstrate the concept of a town is a community within it's state, which is then within the United States, and so on... I will be teaching 3rd grade, and from my experience in this school, my 5th graders did not even understand this concept last year, so I would like to do something to SHOW them and continually reinforce. It was suggested to show the analogy of coins being part of dollars, but I am wondering if that is too abstract for them. Any suggestions are appreciated!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

Use the school and build an analogy. It's a kind of community within the district, and the grades are communities within the school (so are the teachers, and so are the staff), and a class is a community within a grade, and within a class there are "pods" or tables or rows that are (fairly temporary) little communities, or there are groups that come together for a particular project but may not stay together. Similarly, the United States is made up of states, and the states of counties and the counties of cities (well, this gets a little tricky with San Francisco, which is simultaneously city and county), and so on.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

I would cut shapes out of construction paper with the largest one being the world or the U.S. Have them superimpose the communities so that the last one, family, is the smallest and on top.

I think I will do it this way for 3rd. I taught 5th before, and some kids are still confused about county/state/country/continent.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

'daisy and I took this on from two different perspectives; you're likely to find that using both will help your students even more.

6. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 18, 2007

Thank you! I will absolutely use both and work them into the unit so that by the end, the students are 'seeing' communities within everything!

7. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

we did it with a paper plate when I did 3rd grade. Inner circle was student (they wrote who they had to answer to-parents, school...) then community maybe and outward. Let me see if I can find my example and I'll scan it for you.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

That's cool, ~Nicole.