Communications between Instructional Assistant and parents

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by anna9868, Aug 15, 2016.

1. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Aug 15, 2016

Interviewing for positions for IA (for special ed), this is a pretty common questions that the interviewers like to ask. What is a parent comes to you and ask about how their child is doing? What if a parent starts asking you details about their child?

Am I right to assume that the proper answer should be It's not IA's role to give out any information about the child. The parents should talk to the teacher, instead.

3. renard

renard Companion

Aug 15, 2016

Timmy had a great day today.

Timmy had a challenging day - let me refer you to Mrs/Mr Teacher for any more information if you'd like.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2016

What renard said. You should always direct parents to the teacher.

What have you been answering to this question?

5. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Aug 15, 2016

I was basically saying that the aids are not allowed to give out details about the child to the parents. I just wanted to double check my answers. thanks for answering!

6. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 16, 2016

IAs tend to be like shrinking violets, and some kids/teachers step all over them. I think you should answer based on your observations and data. You spent nearly as much time with the kid as the teacher of record.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2016

Here, the Ed assistants are not allowed to communicate with parents about the students in other than the general terms renard mentioned. It has nothing to do with knowledge of the students; it is not their role. One of our assistants got herself into some serious difficulty, with admin and her union a few years ago because she was taking it upon herself to have some long, detailed, off-campus discussions with parents about the students.

czacza and Linguist92021 like this.
  8. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

Aug 16, 2016

I was an IA for 5 years, and my answer to that question in interviews was always that I defer to the teacher when it comes to giving details about a student or the lessons. I don't avoid having conversations with parents, but getting into details is not my role.

czacza likes this.
  9. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Aug 16, 2016

personally, I think that too. Oftentimes, IAs work closer with kids and can give more info. Long time ago, before I was involved with school, I used to ask IA in my son's primary grade about him and I remember being surprised how unresponsitve the aide's answers were. She didn't direct me to the teacher, she just was very general in her answers. Now I know why!

However, rules are rules! Despite of what I may think, I know that I should ready to show at an interview that I know and ready to follow the rules/

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2016

Wow.
    Any information the aide has should be shared with the teacher and parents should be directed to the teacher with any questions.