Communication with Sub coordinator

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by John Lee, Dec 5, 2010.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 5, 2010

I've been thinking about this a bit. I've been subbing many years, and basically, my communication with the sub coordinator is just calling to confirm assignments, or accepting assignments. I don't really talk or get especially social with her at all... kinda feel a bit bad that I don't (though I know she's probably very busy having to call many others).
    He11, I don't think I've even seen her in-person before!

Anyway, was wondering if you all are different? I also ask because I wonder if I should send her a greeting card or gift (for the holidays), or whatever. I never have, but especially considering these days, where she must throw jobs my way (since I'm subbing daily when many others are not)... I wonder if I should. I do think she does a good job and seems to be nice (on the phone). :blush:

3. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Dec 6, 2010

I sub in two districts. In one I have never seen, talked to, or met the coord. In the other I saw him 2x in rooms where he was talking to a large group.

All my jobs come through teacher referrals, or through automation (phone, web).

4. The Substitute

The Substitute Rookie

Dec 6, 2010

If possible, it's a good idea to create a positive relationship with this person. I've gotten some extra work as a result of this.

5. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Dec 6, 2010

I agree this can only help subs in general. Ask her about how her day is going, about her family, any plans for the holidays. Just get to know more about her. She will appreciate how friendly and kind you are being. I am sure she will reciprocate this by offering you more assignments.

6. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 6, 2010

This is not to say I don't have a positive working relationship with my sub desk person... I think we do. And part of the reason I don't talk more to her is because I know she is busy having to call many other people. I just wondered if people send greetings cards, stuff like that to their sub desk people during the holidays and such. Or maybe a Starbucks card at the start of a year (to grease the runway so to speak), etc.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 6, 2010

This is an interesting topic. I've been subbing for my district since 1999 & met my sub technician for the very 1st time just a month or two ago. She said I'm nothing the way she pictured me. All our communication through the yrs have been by email mainly & from time to time by phone.

Actually, it would have just been fine if I had never met her. Things were good all this time & I've always been cordial & very appreciative w/ her. She's never hinted or mentioned about meeting me anyway.

For me personally, this situation calls for the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." But, hey, if you want to send a card or something, by all means, go ahead! It's a nice gesture.