communication with parents

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ksmomy, Jul 22, 2009.

1. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jul 22, 2009

I teach in a Pre-K classroom (4-5 yr. olds). We do a weekly newsletter that talks about what we did during the week, classroom information, and reminders about upcoming events, etc... The school also does a school wide newsletter with similar information. Our lesson plans are posted in the hallway and in the classroom. We send home ongoing assessments quarterly to show the parents areas of progress or areas that might need to be worked on a little. And we do formal assessments twice a year as well as two conferences or more if requested. A monthly calendar is also sent home that lists all the activities for the month. The parents are requesting more information that is individual for their own child. We are not quite sure how to meet this need as sitting down to write individual notes for each child (24) everyday would be very time consuming. It has not been my experience with this age group that you send home a daily note telling the parents about what they ate, if they slept, used the bathroom etc... Is there something that any of you do? Or do you have any ideas?

3. Kase

Kase Companion

Jul 22, 2009

At the place I'm working at, they do dailies but only for what they did that day (if they did anything special, funny, etc...) I believe they have 24 as well maybe less. The 2 teachers write the dailies during nap time. They stop doing the whole jotting down when they go to the bathroom and how long they slept after they hit the 3 year old room. Are all of the parents wanting to know this information or just some? I'm a very straight forward type of teacher and I would probably just explain to them that it is no longer necessary to write down all the details but if only a few parents wanted the details I would laminate a detailed daily and stick it in the sign in book or something and use dry erase markers. *shrug* A lot of parents differ.

4. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jul 22, 2009

How about encouraging parents to ASK their own child about his/her day. Children at this age are capable enough to talk about what occurred that day that was significant to him/her. Send home a list of open ended questions to all the parent. Explain to parents that asking good questions can help children develop thinking, language and communication skills which are important for kindergarten.

5. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

What you are doing is fine. The work involved for individual, daily notes is way over the top. My goodness, helicopter parents start early! :)

6. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 22, 2009

I know the preschool teachers at my old school have a form with little boxes to check off such as slept during nap time, ate all of their lunch, participated actively in all activities, etc. I don't know if that is something you want to consider but they would send those home with the students. Not sure if it is something you want to consider but another option that is not as time consuming.

7. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

We do a weekly "report" that mentions how much they ate at snacks & meals (none, some or all) and a place for notes about nap time and any special comments. We send it home on Fridays and it somes up the week. It also has a place for the teacher to list anything special we need for next week. It has worked well for the parents that want a daily report. We just tell them we only do it for the week and they will get it on Friday. No one has asked for a daily report once they have gotten the weekly one after the first week.

8. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 22, 2009

I don't do individual dialy otes unless thereis a particular issue or "good job" incident to tell the parents about. I do a dialy news board where I write what we did today. It is over the lunch box shelf so the parents will see it

9. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jul 23, 2009

Thanks for all of your responses. I personally wouldn't mind telling parents that we no longer do daily notes in this age group but the owner relies heavily on parent opinion which is understandable especially in this economy, so they try to reach a happy medium between parent needs and teacher needs. The younger classrooms have the check off daily sheets and some of the parents mentioned that they are too general and have the same information every day. I like the ideas you gave about putting something outside the door or in the classroom that says, "Today we....". I really think this is just a select few of the parents and you can't please everyone but we were trying to brainstorm different ways to give them the information they need without taking away too much of the teachers' direct time with the children or planning time. Thanks for your input.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

Could you do a simple chart where you just circled smilies? I would assume parents would want to know:

how their child ate
    how they participated
    how they got along with other students
    how they napped
    how they listened

Then put a couple lines at the bottom for free writing.

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

Oops, I just saw the thing that says it is too general. Well maybe in the free writing part, you could make it a goal to write something. Anyway, this is a lot of work. I am sure it is just a small percentage of people asking for this. Would a copy of the quickie lesson plan each Monday help?

12. happypreteach

happypreteach Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

we do a general daily sheet as well, and mention things to parents at pick up time if something stood out during the day. but still at the end of the year, parents make comments about there not being enough communication. I just think some parents will never be satisfied.

13. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jul 23, 2009

I agree with you happypreteach. We also communicate things to the parents verbally in addition to all the papers they receive. One parent on the survey even said that the teachers communicate things to them verbally but they want if written down. No matter what you do there are always going to be some people that are not satisfied.