Communication with Parents

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hp123, Feb 19, 2010.

1. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 19, 2010

I'm wondering what types of communication you use with parents.

How often do you send home newsletters?

3. ally06

ally06 Companion

Feb 20, 2010

We have a weekly homework sheet with a section for messages and important dates etc. A school-wide newsletter is sent home every week and each class writes a paragraph for that. I also have a class webpage where I put photos of class activities, news and upcoming events etc. We also write a weekly class blog attached to the webpage.
    Plus, I communicate individually with parents as needed (I see a lot of them in the morning when they drop their children off - great for more relaxed, 'informal' chats) and all parents have my school email address.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 20, 2010

I send a weekly class newsletter every Monday. It includes objectives for the week, spelling words as well as any updates, reminders. I communicate by e-mail with parents a lot-sending a note of something ingenious they said in class or sending them field trip pics, etc.

5. Bogart

Bogart Rookie

Feb 20, 2010

I have Friday Folders with any important school info and flyers. Students take these home on Friday and return with parent signature on Monday. I also do a weekly update on Fridays through email.

6. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Feb 21, 2010

This year I started sending home a daily email instead of a weekly newsletter. At the top, I include all the weekly academic items and reminders (letters/words of the week, book orders, field trips, etc.) and then the body of the message is what we did that day. These emails take me about 5 minutes and the feedback has been very positive. Parents tell me they like having talking points on a daily/nightly basis to encourage discussion about school with their child. I love it because email is easier than making a newsletter with cutesy clip art... I detest cutesy clip art... :)

7. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Feb 21, 2010

Our school's newsletter goes home the beginning of each month...I send home a weekly newsletter on Fridays...plus I update my website weekly...I write notes in agendas daily if needed