Communication problem with teacher

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by pabef, Dec 9, 2008.

1. pabef

pabef Comrade

Dec 9, 2008

I am a director. I had a teacher who hurt her foot on Monday - dropped a heavy can on it. Rather than call me and tell me she was headed to the Dr., she texted another teacher and told her that her foot was hurt about 15 minutes before she was due to be at work. No mention of heading to the Dr. or not coming in to work. The other teacher told me about the text and I immediately called the hurt teacher to find out what was going on. Had to leave voice mail several times. She never showed up for work or returned my calls all day. We have a technical assistant that is supposed to be in her room for 20 days for a program we signed up for. She is not supposed to come if the teacher is not here. She drove an hour to find out that she shouldn't have come. The hurt teacher kept texting the other teacher all day and telling her the Dr. said she needed to rest her foot for 2 or 3 days. The other teacher kept telling her to call me and she never did. She said her phone (pay as you go) was out of minutes and she had no way to call. She did not come in today either. Her grandmother came in to pick up her daughter who goes to school with us. I sent a note with her daughter's things telling her to call me ASAP and I also told her grandmother the same. She never called. I finally texted her - even though I have no text plan -and told her to call me or she would be out of a job! She wondered what the problem was. She was going to be off again tomorrow to go to the Dr. and I told her she had to come in. The TA can not put off coming any longer if we want to get the funds we need from this program and also I am short staffed tomorrow. She does have a hurt foot; am I being to hard on her?

3. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Dec 9, 2008

I don't think so. The teacher isn't a child, so she need to act like a responsible adult.

That means if you are going to miss work, then you need to let your boss know about it. You need to find some way to get in contact with your boss. Don't relay a message through another teacher. Don't send your mother in to tell your boss you won't be at work. Don't have your spouse call in for you when you can't make it. Pick up the phone and talk to your boss.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 9, 2008

I might have understood 15 min before work was happening if you didn't have a real phone handy BUT this continued too long to play stupid. Nope, you aren't being harsh.

5. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Dec 9, 2008

No you were not too harsh with her. In any other job if you don't tell your boss that you are not showing up for work you will be fired.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2008

You are the boss. She most certainly should have gotten in touch with you if she was unable to come to work. She's not a 14 year old, she's an adult who should have known that!

You're absolutely right!

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2008

I agree.....you did the right thing. You had no idea of what her plans were and needed correct first hand information.

If I ever did anything like that I would have for sure been fired.

8. pabef

pabef Comrade

Dec 10, 2008

She is coming in today. I am short staffed, so I will be in the classroom today and will have to talk to her tomorrow, but we will have a serious talk about her communication problems! Like another poster said, I understood about the short notice the first day because she had no minutes on her phone and I forgot to mention she has not car so her grandmother brings her to work, but this went on way too long!

9. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Dec 10, 2008

She does not sound like a good employee at all!!! I always feel really bad if I get sick and try to call as early as possible if I am unable to go to work. If her foot is hurt, she should have called you ASAP to fill you in!

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 10, 2008

You are much nicer than I am. In m book, no call/no show = no job. I would have fired her after the first day and begun to look for a replacement.

11. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Dec 10, 2008

I hope you have policies about what teachers are supposed to do when they're sick. If so, discuss the policy with her and document her lack of adherence to it.

If you don't have a policy, now is the time to think about making one!

12. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2008

She'd be gone by now IF I was her boss!
    Look at how she handled the situation..
    -She texed the other teacher BUT why not you?
    -You left her voicemails BUT she never returned you calls
    -She didn't show up at work AND
    -She didn't call you directly & you had to find out second hand
    -You sent word with Grammy but she still didn't call you
    -You have to pay the person (BY LAW) that showed up but couldn't work because she wasn't there. In CA. if you show up at work and they send you home after a couple of minutes or what ever, YOUR EMPLOYER better pay you half the day or you go marching to the Labor Board AND they don't play! Also if you give your written notice to an employer with your last day of EMPLOYMENT, in print and they decide to let you go early THEY better pay you up to your last DAY, OR they get in trouble. They better have a legit excuse IF they decide to do that. I've been told that you ask them, "Are you firing me and for what?"
    -You can be in trouble with the LAW if you do not pay the lady that showed up SO take care of that & Let "MISSY Foot" know about paying someone who didn't work at all, with money that you can use somewhere else. You can really make her see your point in all of the above, etc. Anyways, let her have it!
    The nerve of some peple! Is she trying to get fired? Makes you wonder sometimes about how some people think.

You are too nice. Her butt should have been walking the opposite direction by now. She must feel that you can't affort to fire her.
    Give her a dose of reality! Show her the Employee Handbook and your log of all the negative ways she handled the situation, wish her good luck at the next job and kick her ass out the door.
    If you can't afford to let her go 'cause you have nobody else MAKE sure you write her up, BIG time!
    As a Boss, you pretty much get the idea which employees treat work like a career and which ones treat work as just another job, by the end of their first day.Later,
    Rebel1

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 11, 2008

I certainly hope you write her up and put it in her file, so that next time this happens you have documentation. And, I agree, make sure your policies cover this situation.

14. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Dec 11, 2008

I would also question how responsible she is with the children in her classroom.

15. pabef

pabef Comrade

Dec 11, 2008

Some background info and an update - She is a co-teacher with another teacher. The other teachers' mom has some health problems and she has to be off a good bit, so I hired teacher B (hurt teacher) to fill on on the days teacher A is absent. Also she floats and helps in other rooms as needed or subs when other teachers are sick. She works any hours I need her to and does anything I need her to including helping in the kitchen or cleaning a storage closet. Despite the fact she has no car, she is always prompt - her grandmother brings her to work. If it were not for all of this, I would have fired her. We had a serious talk about her communications problems. I told her that despite the fact that she has a pay as you go phone and sometimes can not afford minutes, she must have a way to get in touch with me if she is not going to be at work. Text a family member to call me if need be - just do it ASAP. I also told her that I understand about being hurt, getting sick whatever. I am not going to be mad about missing work, but she has to call me. She went 2 days without talking to me and sending vague text messages to another teacher which was unnacceptable. I told her if this happened again she would be out of a job.

16. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2008

Good for you. Now document it and put it in her personnell file and follow through if it happens again.