Communication Log - Online?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teachersk, Sep 19, 2012.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2012

Anyone have any ideas for a way to have a communication log online? I am looking for something that is secure because there would obviously be confidential information. In a perfect world, I'd be able to upload pictures and videos as well. Almost like a blog.. but secure.

I want to communicate with my parents but the age-old spiral notebook deal just isn't working for me in this digital age. I have iPads and computers in my classroom and would love to take this to the next level. I am not certain all of my parents would be receptive to it, but want to at least propose it.

The benefits would be that I can complete the logs AFTER the students leave (write the notes as soon as they get on the bus, versus having to take time away from them to HAND WRITE notes in their spirals) - as well as being able to put a lot more info in a much shorter time period (I used to be a 9-1-1 dispatcher and my typing is super fast, I could literally write 2-3 paragraphs for each kid in 1-2 minutes, versus the 5-10 minutes it is taking me to write short little notes in the spiral notebooks, etc.).

I'd love if there was a way it could be interactive, or parents could "Sign" that they read it.... so many variables.

Does anyone have any ideas? It's 2012. We should be communicating with the parents online versus a spiral notebook! (unless a parent "opts out" of my e-option.. which I will give them the opportunity to do).

Thoughts? Ideas? Ways I could do this?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2012

Could you find a way to use Google Docs for this sort of thing?

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2012

Hmm.. that is an option. I'd have to play around. Ideally, I'd like something more set up, like "www.autismteacherparentcommunicationlogs.com" (LOL, but you get the idea) -- google docs would probably require me to allow the parents to edit, but then my stuff could be erased... sounds crazy but I do have parents who might erase things and bring it back to me later...

Is there a way in google docs to do "Track Changes," you know where it shows you if anything has been deleted, etc.? and "who" edits each part?

This would be cool because related services providers could write on here (or whatever I come up with), too.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 19, 2012

Yes, in google docs you can track revisions.

You can also restrict it to limited email addresses

You could also do something like have a site, set up .htaccess and .htpasswd to limit access to certain folders to a specific username and password

6. smithjack33

smithjack33 New Member

Sep 25, 2012

You can create a google account and use Google Docs. Or you can create a Hotmail account and use excel sheets or word documents online to organise your work.

7. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2012

I did consider google docs but the format just wasn't what I was looking for. I was really looking for a "discussion board" type option, that would be password protected, and easy to access for parents.

I ended up making wikispaces accounts for each student, so each wiki shows up under my name when I log in, but the parents only have access to their child's wiki. Additionally, there is a discussion board option which allows all of the related service providers to make comments and it shows up with the date and their names. Parents can reply to posts or make new posts. I love it so far!

8. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Sep 26, 2012

Could you type your logs in Word, print them and glue them into the notebooks? That would save you time over hand-writing it. I would hesitate to put anything confidential online - if you do figure it out, be sure to run it by your administrators first.

9. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2012

It's not like IEP information or anything like that... It is more like "Johnny didn't really eat his lunch today..." and "Jack was hungry this morning so we gave him his goldfish early..." and "Jack needs more wipes and underwear at school."

I sent a permission slip home to each parent asking if they would like to do their logs online... And received permission for all but one of my students (we will continue using the spiral for him, no problem). I made the wiki online and it is "private," requiring me to approve any members (passwords required to enter wiki). I invited all of the related service providers as well as my supervisor! So, everyone can review everyone else's information at their leisure, which keeps us all connected! I add pictures of their children, videos of the skills they are learning, and the parents all love it! And it saves me so much time!

My supervisor thinks its a super idea.