communication HELP ME!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by kinderkids, Aug 2, 2005.

1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2005

communication theme HELP ME!

I just found out today that our school wide theme this year is "communication" (between school, church, home, etc.). I don't know if I like it, but have no say. ! Now, I need some creative ideas on how to incorporate that theme into decorating my K room, sayings, decorating my door/entryway, etc. There are so many creative people on here, I know you can help me! PLEASE!!!!!!!!! :eek: I am drawing a blank right now.. :confused:

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2005

Make an acrostic with the word communication. Could use it on your door or BB.
    Make a circle diagram with children in the middle and the words school, church, home around the outside.
    Another idea for a BB would be to attach two paper cups with string (like the old telephone game) and drape across the top of the board. You could title it Can We Communicate?
    Make a poster called Kindergarten Communication Corner and show all ways to contact you and the school.

Communication Means Caring

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2005

Oh Upsadaisy, you are so creative. Thanks........I felt overwhelmed with that one because it is so broad. I love communication means caring. thank you , thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2005

Do you have ideas for an acrostic using COMMUNICATE? And, is there an animal or insect that you think would work into this theme as well? Thanks :)

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2005

What about ants because they work together so well?

Children
    Often
    Mean
    Many of
    Us
    Need to
    Indicate our
    Caring by
    Acting
    Truly
    Empathetic

Care
    Open up
    Make time
    Mention
    Unburden
    Note
    Include
    Call
    Anticipate
    Telephone
    Everyone

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2005

Thanks again....you're the best! The ant would be perfect....we do a big unit on them at the end of the year, I even have an ant farm. Hopefully I can find some premade things with ants on them....very cute!! Now I need a catchy saying to go with the ants........and communication/working together.

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2005

Some ideas for other communication themed stuff:
    "A Little Birdie Told Me that My Class is the Best!" and put cut out birds with the kids' names on them.
    "Extra, Extra, Read All About IT!" on a bulletin board devoted to writing. Can use old newspapers as background paper.
    "Get the word out...We're Super Students!" On a Star of the Week Board, or a work display board, maybe decorated with telephones, or a paper cup phone.
    Kim

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2005

I love this site..........it makes my job so much easier. Thanks for some more good ideas! :)

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2005

If you show the ants creating tunnels and passing messages to one another you could use the headline, Communication Makes The Road Easier.

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2005

I like the idea of ants communicating...I just wonder if I can find commercially made cute ants.....I've seen a lot of things, but don't think I've seen ants. I'd like to use premade ones, would be much easier. I will have to search for some ants at our education store or online.

12. mmis

mmis Companion

Aug 2, 2005

communication

Using ants...
    For your lunch choice board you could put a red/white checked tablecloth on the wall and have ants marching across it. You could also draw a picnic basket. Have a place for your students to make their lunch choice.

Helper board: Army of Ants- list jobs and students' names

You could go with a camping theme to decorate

Sayings:"It's a Picnic in Kindergarten!"
    "Welcome to Camp (your last name)" This could go outside your door.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 3, 2005

I'll look for ants for you. I know I've seen them somewhere (besides my kitchen).

14. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Aug 5, 2005

communication--
    can you do a postoffice unit? make one, take a field trip, send letters, set up classroom mailboxes, get penpals in another class in the school with whom you can exchange individual and/ or group letters--great ELA activity, you can write stories for them, tell them about what you did, give them advice, all KINDS of stuff, write to older classes asking advice, make invitations to other people to do soemthing with you

also, a communication unit is a GREAT opportunity to talk about the ways different people communicate such as ---sign language, picture communication, augmentative communciation devices . . .

you can do cultures--greetings--handshakes, smiles, waves, how do people greet? Languages--how many ways do youi know how to say "hello" "goodbye" "how are you" "my name is" "thank you"

did you want this kind of ideas? communication sounds like fun!

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2005

Those will be excellent ways to continue this theme throughout the year. I will have to be in charge of the large entrance bulletin board sometime during the year, and I could use the different ways to say hi as a great bb. Also, it would be a great unit for post office........thanks! :)

16. CareBear

CareBear Rookie

Aug 5, 2005

Hello!

Hello! I'm a new member as of today so I hope I am doing this correctly. I wanted to comment on the ant theme. I have seen some ant decoratives on scholastic.com and also some fabric at Walmart. I noticed the fabric on display one day. The fabric is red and white checkered with black ants on it. It is really cute! You could cover a bulletin board with it. Good luck on your theme! It sounds like it is going to be very cute.

17. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2005

Hi Carebear (love your name :) ) Welcome to AtoZ. This is such an awesome site, I'm sure you are going to become a regular! Yes, you did this correct, and thanks for the info. I will have to go to our Walmart to look for it....that would be perfect! I appreciate the info!!! I was unsure what to do until all the great people on here gave me some wonderful ideas!

18. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2005

Alright, another question for all of you creative teachers out there. Clifford is my class mascot.......any ideas how to incorporate him into my communication theme as well?

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 5, 2005

Welcome to AtoZ, CareBear. What grade do you teach?

Hmmm ... The ants can crawl on Clifford. You can compare the size of Clifford and ants. Clifford can try and dig tunnels like ants do. The ants can surround Clifford's food bowl like they do in my house.

20. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2005

I should have thought about that with the food bowl, I have that same problem in my house :D

21. CareBear

CareBear Rookie

Aug 5, 2005

I don't have a grade right now. I am one of those new teachers who received my degree in Dec. 2004 and I subbed short and long term last spring for different schools. I have sent out many resumes and I have had 2 interviews, but the schools gave the jobs to some one else. I have been down, but I keep in mind that I was meant to teach and something will come along! :rolleyes: I hope!
    I love reading what everyone has to say and all the ideas, that is why I joined this site. It really helps to know that there are others like me. Have a good night!

22. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 6, 2005

I saw this on another thread...but what about making a cut out of something, printing your contact information on it and then glueing a magnet on the back or making it into a business card. Parents would be able to contact you when needed and it would open the doors for communication. Plus, they wouldn't lose the information of how to contact you.

23. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 6, 2005

About the clifford & communication idea:

I would use clifford to introduce how animals communicate. I read a story last year w/ my 3rd graders called, "Can Animals Talk?" It is WONDERFUL! It talks about how all different animals communicate. (such as when a dog wags it's tail, it's telling you it's happy, or when a cat hisses, it's scared, etc.) I would maybe make a bulletin board with clifford titled something like, "Ruff Ruff, Animals also communicate Stuff!" and then place all sorts of dog bones around clifford with sayings on the bones about how animals communicate. :) Good Luck!

[​IMG]

24. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2005

thanks for all the great ideas. I'll be printing out this thread so I have it handy! :)