Communicating with Parents

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by RedVac, Nov 6, 2010.

1. RedVac

RedVac Rookie

Nov 6, 2010

Wanted to know what you use to communicate with parents. We have mailboxes so most of my info goes out in there. Other teachers at my center send daily emails. Do any of you have a website that you post information on? What have you found to be the best way to communicate with parents in your program?

3. amyg

amyg Rookie

Nov 6, 2010

I use all types of communication. Email, newsletters and a blog for my class.

4. pabef

pabef Comrade

Nov 6, 2010

We use as many forms of communication as possible because there are alwyas those parents who say "I didn't know!" We have a web page, daily sheets that teachers fill out for each class and they also do a weekly newsletter for their class.

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 7, 2010

I teach K and I do send a daily email... I print it out for the kids that don't have email. I have a class blog and update that with pictures and videos about twice a week. :)

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 7, 2010

We have a newsletter, a calendar, send home notes and progress reports often (not just at screening times). We have extra staff at drop pick up so that we can have a parent available for short contacts and we go out of our way to know what the children did during the day---since we are all day there is a issue in other programs of the afternoon person not knowing what the morning was like...we don't have that.

We used to have a blog but it took a lot of time and not many people read it, we have returned to the parent binder in the room by the sign out sheet so that the parents can see not only what we do, but the learning objective it meets.

Our posters are not purchased they are made to summarize the work we are or have done and include pictures of the children and writing by the children.

7. mary1280

mary1280 Rookie

Nov 7, 2010

Monthly newsletters w/ a calendar, weekly blogs (I just started this year and the parents LOVE it, principal loves it too), and something important is coming up, I'll send home a handout

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 7, 2010

To the rooms with blogs....do the parents write in the comment area or do they talk about the blog helping? How do you track the percentage of parents using the blog?

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 8, 2010

I do a weekly/bi-weekly newsletter (usually when we change themes or shift focus within the theme) that gives an overview of the "big concepts" we're studying with that theme, a sampling of activities, upcoming dates, andu sually either something they can do at home to extend the learning and/or a song/poem we're learning. If we do something special like a cooking project, I'll send home the recipe or something about it... I try to do a quickie note at least once a week for each child... "Timmy really enjoyed painting at the easel" or "Sarah was so kind to our new student" or "John counted all the numbers on our calendar today!"

When I was in a full-day setting, all of our classrooms did a "what happened today" sheet that we ung outside the door. The teachers there during the day weren't always the ones at pick-up, especially for our late departers... this gave parents a good way to see what we did, as well as a chance for us to give reminders (Show and Share of Friday is ___ topic or "Thursday is picture day" or whatever).

10. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Nov 9, 2010

i have a weekly website update on our schools website. there i discuss what we did for the week and also include a website that has an educational game or video that the parents can watch with their child.

letters are sent home for important things coming up in the classroom like conferences, field trips, etc. i have also started sending home weekly suggestions to help reinforce what letter we are using (some short activities or eating foods that start with that letter).

we have a parent bulletin board which displays the monthly newsletter, upcoming events, and other important information.l

then most importantly, face-to-face interaction with the parents drop/pick up their kids. that gives parents time to ask questions if they have any!