Communal Supplies on Tables - help!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Pumpkin83, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Pumpkin83

Pumpkin83 Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

I have 3 tables in my room. Each table can seat 8. I am not sure how to have the supplies.

Part of me is thinking that with one container in the middle everyone can't reach it. BUT, if I do two containers of supplies it will take up lots of room on the tables.

I need the container(s) to hold pencils and crayons for sure. I could store scissors and glue elsewhere and pull those out when needed or have those on the table all the time like the pencils and crayons.

If you do communal supplies what sort of container do you use??? Thanks!

3. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jul 25, 2010

Target has caddy type buckets...they are 3 sections 1 large and then 2 smaller...they were 2.50 in the dollar spot up front. I grabbed 3 of them this year for the same reason!

4. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 25, 2010

I struggle with this every year. I have gone back and forth so many times! I love the simplicity of community buckets and I cringe at the germ spreading. I mean, I know germs are gonna spread in a K classroom anyways, but I feel like if I can do small things to minimize it that it helps a little. That being said, I am pretty sure I will have caddys on the tables this year, because it really is SO much simpler! :dunno: I really do not make my final decisions about this stuff til much closer to day 1, so I am remaining on the fence for a couple more weeks.

5. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 25, 2010

And I definitely keep the scissors put away unless needed. I have had so many books and "important" papers sliced up because the temptation is SO great at this age level.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 25, 2010

I LOVE communal supplies (you'll probably hear me say this over and over :)). I have 5 tables, which each seat 4 kids. In the center of each table I have a caddy like this: http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/prod...handles+neon+colors.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=2 . (I bought mine for $1 each at Target about 5 years ago.) In one small section I have 8 pencils, in the other small section I have scissors, and in the large section I have 8 glue sticks and 4 bottles of glue. The only thing that travels with the kids when I switch tables around is their scissors. I find most of the other materials are identical, and I want them to feel like they have something that is just theirs.

I also have 2 baskets like this on each table: http://www.stylefeeder.com/i/28cbp542/Sterilite-16068024-Sm-Plastic-Storage-Basket . (I buy them at Walmart-2 for $1.) One basket contains markers, and the other contains crayons. In the beginning of the year students are required to bring 2 boxes of crayons and 2 boxes of markers. I put 4 boxes of crayons and 4 boxes of markers in each basket. We usually just get crayola from the kids, so if I get jumbo packs or Rose Art I just put those crayons and markers in the writing center. So, each table contains the exact same thing, and there is one marker and crayon of each color for each child. They very rarely argue over supplies. Mid-year I replenish the crayons and markers.

If I were you I would put 2 sets of everything at the center of each table. Even with 4 kids at a table, things are a little crowded at times. I often have them take what they need and put the supply baskets on the floor next to their tables. They are easy to move and it just becomes routine.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 25, 2010

Also, I don't find germ spreading to be a problem. My classroom isn't any more sick than any other classroom! Plus, they are playing with toys and other things all day, so if they are going to get sick they will no matter what.

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

Could you make or buy those things that go on the back of the chairs. They are like chair covers and the kids can have their supplies in there.
    I struggle with this as well. I have desks in my class and they are in groups of 5 so there is an odd person who is at the end and can't reach. Also the desks are not the same height so something in the middle will be wobbly.

9. MissKinderK

MissKinderK Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

I also found a GREAT supply bin in Target - it is three layers, and it spins. I wish I could find a picture of it, but I can't :( It has a tall skinny part in the middle, then the layer below has four compartments, and the bottom layer has 6 (I think) compartments. Really cute! Head to Target soon - those dollar bins are going FAST. I bought 4 and will put one on each table.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 25, 2010

Man, you guys are going to make me go back to Target I was trying to stay away because I'm spending too much money! :unsure::haha:

I do need new supply baskets though. I also love communal supplies! :thumb: And have to 2nd DP's germ comments-no more sickness that usual and even if they have their own supplies-they are still going to get kid germs on them! I think you could get away with one on each table if you kept the crayons in the boxes and just have 8 boxes so the table could just pass those out to each other when they got to work.

11. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jul 25, 2010

if you are concerned with germs, just spray the whole thing down with some lysol at the end of the day....or other times when they aren't around!

12. Pumpkin83

Pumpkin83 Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

Wow great responses! Thank you!!

DrivingPigeon - GREAT idea!! I knew those caddies wouldn't work for crayons and pencils and everything they need. I love the idea of just one at a table and having the glue and pencils in there and then having two baskets of crayons. That solves my problem of one kid on one end needing a different color crayon and at the same time another kid at the other end of the table needing a crayon. So again, I like your idea a lot. If I did it I would only have 3 things on the table instead of 4, which would make it a little less crowded.

VANewbie - I would love those chair pockets. I could easily sew them too. The only problem is that our school is closing next year and kdgtn is being put back into the elem. schools (right now all 15 classes of kdgtn are at the "Kindergarten Center". Because of that and not knowing what school I will be going to and what chairs I will have, I don't want to spend the money and time on making those only to have them useless next year. Some day I want to make them though.

MissKinderK - I saw those at Target too but don't think they will work for me. I tried to envision enough crayons, glue and pencils for everyone and didn't think they would work. Even with 2 of those at a table I don't think the crayons would work well in them.

Thanks again to everyone who replied. If anyone has more suggestions or ideas I would love to hear them!

Also, I'm not worried about germs at all! Like others have said, they are going to share germs no matter what I do!

13. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

I like the seatsacks on the chairs & each having their own supplies, 1. because of germs (although I see the pp point)
    2. I don't think it fair for those that take care of supplies to have to use crayons that are broken/paper peeled, chewed pencils, etc. because of those that don't take care.:2cents:

14. kinderokSA

kinderokSA Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

Does anyone have a pattern for the seat sacks or basic idea how to mke them??? I have thought of those for a whole year already. I need those to help with space!!!!

Pumpkin83... - I use plastic cups (disposable cups) for each student.(names on them) In these it include - 2 pencils, crayons, scissors (when ready), eraser and glue stick. Their markers and extra supplies are in the cubbies, and taken out when needed. On the table i've done it different ways - i've had the cups in a basket and also just had the cups neatly in the center of the table. I replace the cups when i replace the crayons.

Thngs we think about before school!!! Awesomeness :)

15. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

I use communal supplies but the bucket don't stay on the table. I get helpers get the color buckets as needed.

8 is alot of kinders at one table.

16. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 26, 2010

I use table caddies at each table. I have 4 tables and a different colored caddy for each table. The caddies stay on the table for times when they are needed but can be moved to a shelf when necessary. You can see a picture of my colored caddies here. I have a matching colored cup for each student with crayons and a pencil. If you get the larger caddies from Really Good Stuff there is also room for glue sticks in the caddies.

I agree with pp's, I have always used table caddies and have never had a class that was more sick than others. Also, using communal supplies maximizes instructional time because with young children the time they take to get out their supplies and travel around the room (crowd control) takes up too much time. There's always that one kid who will take his sweet time getting over to his individual pencil box, then he will spill the contents all over the floor on the way to his table and by the time he's picked everything up everybody else is finished with their activity :) With table caddies nobody has any excuse to be up out of their seat because everything they need is right there, we can get busy right away.

As for treating the materials, I take lots of time up front to model how to care for the materials. I explain that if they mistreat the supplies then they won't have any to use. I tell them to let me know if they see somebody mistreating the supplies and believe me, they do! If somebody is constantly peeling, eating, or breaking the crayons I give them their very own plain PAPER cup full of broken crayons and a chewed up pencil. One day of using that cup and they are cured!

17. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

:agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed:
    :agreed::agreed:

18. Pumpkin83

Pumpkin83 Rookie

Jul 26, 2010

I love this idea too!! Where did you get those caddies? All i can find have 3 compartments, but I would need a caddy with only 2 compartments so I could fit 4 cups on either side. Which brings me to my next question, where did you get the colored plastic cups to go in the caddies? Thanks for another great idea!

And to a PP, yes I know 8 is a lot at a kinder table, but there is nothing I can do about it. I only have 3 tables (and only have room for 3) and will most likely have a class size anywhere from 20-24. Nothing I can do about it, so I just learn to adapt and get by fine.

19. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

You can get the bigger 2 compartment ones at Mardels and really good stuff.

20. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 26, 2010

Those particular caddies in the picture were from Really Good Stuff but they were too big for my smaller tables so I traded down for the colored caddies from Family Dollar. The RGS caddies have room for 4 cups on each side- or at least the ones I had did.
    The colored plastic cups come from Dollar Tree. They usually have them in all 4 primary colors hanging from an end cap, I think you get 6 or 8 for $1.

21. Pumpkin83

Pumpkin83 Rookie

Jul 26, 2010

I am not sure what Mardels is, we don't have them around here. I'll keep looking on reallygoodstuff.com to find those caddies. No luck so far, but sometimes I think they make it difficult to find things online! :) Do you happen to remember where you got the cups from?

Thanks again for your help. :)

22. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

oh sorry. Mardels is a christian store that also have tons of teaching stuff. Lakeshore probably has those too. Pricey but great quality.

23. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010