CommonCore Standards

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ku_alum, Aug 7, 2011.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 7, 2011

Who is making the move to the CommonCore Standards? What does your transition look like?

In my state, the state standards are officially retired. However, the assessment will still be the state's old assessment this year. ??

We are to make the full transition by 2014.

I went to training last week and I like what I am seeing. But, the next couple of years are going to be a little messy.

3. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Aug 7, 2011

I wish I could answer those questions, but don't have answers yet!

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 7, 2011

I'm very anxious to find out what we are going to be doing. I know we'll be fully there in 2014, but I don't know what's happening in between. This year we are not using commoncore at all. The ELA and math are now on our state website, and I've been reading them. There are some definite changes in math. I'm hoping this is addressed at our start of school meetings. If not, I will be bringing it up. lol I want to know.

5. mrsc_teaches

mrsc_teaches Companion

Aug 7, 2011

We will fin dout 5 days before school starts. I have already started lesson plans. I hope I dont have to redo much

6. TeachGA

TeachGA Rookie

Aug 7, 2011

We will be switching over during the 2012-2013 school year and start training next January.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 7, 2011

We are implementing K-5 in both math and literacy this year. All of last year we had a committee for literacy and a committee for math (each grade level had their own committees). Throughout the year we met and planned. After testing we practiced how our days would look in literacy. All along planning for math. Then about 2 weeks before school ended we were told we were not doing math the way we planned it, and that we were getting a new math coach. So we know what we're doing for literacy, but only partially for math.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 8, 2011

I don't think Texas will be going to it any time soon. We just adopted new standards for many subjects, and we've just started an entirely new testing process based on that... :(

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 8, 2011

Texas is one of only a few states that will not be using the common core. BUT, our new standards are almost identical if you put them side by side. We have one year to figure out the new testing that will go with the new standards. Since 44 of 50 states have adopted the new standards, every state will be forced by textbook companies to up the rigor and reading levels that they are currently using. Get ready, because the key here is to get our kids college and career ready. There will be no child left behind. Everyone will have to work smarter beginning at the kindergarten level to get our kids ready for the new challenges.

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2011

I'm excited for the consistency.

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2011

We are officially implementing this year as well, but our testing is not changing yet...

12. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

I think in my state, K is fully implementing common core standards this year. Next year 1st grade & maybe 2nd grade will be implementing common core standards, and by year 3 all grades will be implementing common core standards. We will be responsible for still teaching standards that students will be tested on the state testing for the next couple of years. It will be a mess for a few years.

13. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

We have a schedule to work on the transition by subject. Science begins the process in fall 2012.

14. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Nov 27, 2011

I am at a middle school and we will implement Common Core school year 2013-14. We will probably have a 4 hr PD training.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 27, 2011

I am not sure when California will begin full implementation . I do, however, know that I (along with two other teachers from my school) will be attending three days of training/professional development this school year (two days in January and one day in May). I will be sharing my new Common Core knowledge with my team members during a spring staff meeting.

I think it'll be nice that we (the AtoZ users) will soon be using the same standards! It'll make it even easier for us to empathize with one another.

16. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 27, 2011

We are starting the common core standards as of April this school year with full implementation next year.

We are also switching to the NWEA Map testing for the common core standards next year.

Not sure how our old textbook series will play into the common core standards.

17. coteach

coteach New Member

Nov 27, 2011

It's part of an agenda to centralize and Federalize public education. They need similiar common core standards so they can move to a nationalized test and a nationalized teacher evaluation system (see IMPACT in Washington, D.C.). This will be combined with a bill Udall/Bennett are sponsoring to formualte a national tracking system for students test scores.
    This agenda is being pushed by private foundations that can hide funding, private corporations, and well heeled individuals.

Welcome to the Fascist state.

18. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Nov 28, 2011

Our current textbooks would not be able to support the common core standards. We are expecting to start implementing these by the year 2014. We are going to have to get new textbooks that are more aligned to the common core.

19. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2011

I don't know if my district is planning to buy new textbooks. We just bought a new reading series about 5 years back and math was new about 2 years ago...

20. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Nov 29, 2011

Hi Ku,

As a ed. grad student, I am getting a strong dose of the common cores, and our instructors are telling us that we will be ahead of the game because of this focus. Then it turns out that the school where I am student teacher is already using the common core in Math and Science. This district being very proactive.

From what I've seen, the CCSS are more conceptual in nature than the old "Glicks", and less loaded with minutia. The Social Studies people in Michigan can't seem to get on board yet, so they are still teaching to the old standards. I've heard the tests will change (and change from fall to spring) by next year.

Kyle