Commonalities in School That Aren't Done Anymore

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Feb 27, 2011.

1. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Feb 28, 2011

I have my mother's grade-school report card, probably from about 1957.

She got an Unsatisfactory in "use of a handkerchief." Seriously.

2. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 28, 2011

I teach special ed. and I don't think the other kids care who my students are. I'm actually not even convinced they even know it's "special ed". I have regular ed. kids ask me ALL the time if they can come with me and then ask whhhyyy when I say no. I usually just tell them "because you need to work on goals with Mrs. _________ (whoever thier regular teacher is)." We have a ton of pull outs (esl, title, other reading interventions, gifted, etc.) so I honestly don't think the kids know the difference. I even had a 4th grade student who is a teacher's kid come in my room one day and ask why I never chose her to come with me! I make a big effort to talk to all the kids in the school so they know who I am and it's not "weird" to come with me for instruction.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 28, 2011

For my situation, I went to a private school in 7th gr, a public school in 8th, & a different public school for HS & I NEVER had to shower at any of them. No one talked about it & we just never did it.

Interesting. So they expect people to just print all their lives or learn their own kind of cursive I guess.

The only thing I ever dissected in school (10th gr) was a worm. I heard talk that previous kids dissected a cat, but never knew if that was just a rumor or not.

Interesting!

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2011

I know there are some who did want to go to the room with the other's, but tody there's is sometimes a stigma with being so PC about it & it wasn't. I mean when I went to school Title 1 was for those only having lagging in like the language arts/reading where as today(I did a lot of subbing in there) almost eveyone has some sort of Title 1 help & sometimes teacher's use it as for those who didn't get whatever we are working on done... It's not just used for a subject area anymore..

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2011

I am older than most of you and we had to do all the academic things you mentioned but also:

-Girls had to wear dresses to school and they couldn't be above the knee cap.

-We walked home for lunch because the moms were home to give us lunch. We had an hour so teachers had that time kid-free.

-Boys and girls had separate playgrounds.

-The principal had a big leather strap and used it enough that all the kids in the school were afraid of it.

-Teachers could also use corporal punishment - I particularly remember one teacher who had quite a reputation with a yard stick.

-We spent hours and hours and hours on penmanship.

-It is amazing we survived childhood (just kidding) because of all the merry-go-rounds, swings, and play equipment that aren't considered safe anymore.

-We respected teachers.

-We learned life skills - home economics for girls and wood working and stuff for boys.

-We read classics, we memorized, we drilled, we problem-solved, art and music were important parts of the curriculum as were social sciences and science. We learned about world history and geography and current issues. We were taught to think and problem-solve.

-We weren't considered "at risk" if we didn't read in kindergarten - we played and learned to socialize and did basic skills.

There are lots more but thought these were the most important.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2011

And kids walked to school - parents didn't drive them and buses were only for those the furthest away and they still had to walk home for lunch.

7. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 1, 2011

All of our elementary teachers teach cursive. They get so aggravated when the high school kids tell them that they rarely write in cursive.
    Our 7th graders have to learn the state capitols.
    My kids both had to learn times tables up to 12, but I can't remember what grade that was in.
    We don't do showers here at school because there are plumbing/drainage issues.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2011

Do they still do Book It at Pizza Hut?

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2011

We do! In fact, my kids turned in their February calendars today, and I have to write out their certificates tonight. :)

10. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 1, 2011

Six Flags also has a reading program. I think it is read six hours and get a free kids' pass.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2011

I was all about Book It! It's still done, but it's not as cool. No buttons. :(

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2011

Yes, the loss of the buttons is very, very sad...

I remember being so excited to get my tiny little jewel stickers on them!

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2011

Most of my teachers put stickers on everything!!

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2011

I still do!

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2011

We had those fun scratch & sniff on spelling tests when we got them all right!!!

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2011

Me too! but as I started going more and more paperless this year, I realized I can't put stickers on stuff. :huh:

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2011

Safety patrol...(sixth graders) out in the street stopping traffic! Wow!

18. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2011

We had an hour for lunch so that we could go home, too. However one of the highlights of my 4th-6th grade year was that a group of about 10-15 would go up to a local bakery and eat around this huge table in the back where they made things. The baker would make sandwiches from fresh bread, chips, and sometimes hot soup to go with it. It cost hardly anything, like maybe 50 cents. I think one of the girls that went with us must have been related to him.

I loved it then, but when I look back now as an adult I think what a special thing that was.