Commonalities in School That Aren't Done Anymore

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 27, 2011

For example, most people had to learn the state capitals, but maybe some didn't in school. What are the things that are known to be common in school, but you never did them?

My childhood years were mainly in the 80s decade. I personally never had to learn/do the following:

- Learn/memorize The Gettysburg Address
    - Take a shower after P.E. (in jr or HS)

If I think of others, I'll post them.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2011

Read any of the traditional high school books or plays except Romeo and Juliet.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 27, 2011

Have handwriting practice. We had a handwriting grade all through elementary school (I RARELY got an A, it was always messy... LOL).

5. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Feb 27, 2011

This brings up an interesting question for me... why did the showers after PE stop in most places? Some of the kids that walk into my classroom after PE absolutely stink of sweat. Eww.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2011

No showers because there isn't time....We need to cram more math and reading into their days.....

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2011

Students don't learn their math facts they way they used to.

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 27, 2011

Showers were the WORST part of school. Getting naked in front of mean girls...

9. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2011

I had to memorize all the prepositions. I had to memorize all the multiplication tables up to 12 before they would pass me to 4th grade. I had memorize the preamble too.

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 27, 2011

I never had to learn the state capitals. I also never learned handwriting and I didn't really learn cursive. We learned how to make the letters in 3rd grade, but then we were given a choice to go back to printing again. To this day I don't remember how to make some of the cursive letters.

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2011

Not all our elementary teachers teach cursive either!

Please and thank have all but disappeared until I refuse to let the students have or do something without it.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2011

My high school teacher told us to get out a piece of paper and write the lyrics to our favorite song of the moment. I remember I chose "Last Kiss" which was being covered by Pearl Jam at the time. This was a task we could all do easily. He made his point by stating that if we could write the lyrics to a song on demand then we could learn the preamble and other important pieces of American history. And we did. :)

Regarding showers, there should never be an instance where students are forced to shower in those horrible group settings. We had stalls with curtains but I know the boys had the group setup. Ridiculous.

13. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 27, 2011

ok - I graduated high school in 1982 and I had to do all those things:

memorize states and capitals spelled correctly
    memorize poetry and important speeches
    take showers after PE (our PE teachers favorite lesson plan - pile us all onto a bus, drive us three miles from the school and make us run back while he drove himself back to school)
    a major research paper every year in high school

I am sure I'll think of others too

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2011

I teach grade 3... My kids will know the 50 states this year( I teach a song) a d have handwriting cursive practice several times a week.

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 27, 2011

Hahaha, my mom teaches 6th grade math and she is ALWAYS going on about how ridiculous it is that kids get to her and don't know thier facts yet.

16. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Feb 27, 2011

I FEEL your moms pain. Lol

17. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 27, 2011

Graduated in 2008
    Didn't learn cursive (Although everyone else in my grade did)
    Never studied geography, except the basics for the US (i.e. we knew that the new england area was north of us, california was west, etc.)

18. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2011

I never learned to use a slide rule to do higher math.

In drivers training, the cars had automatic transmissions they never taught us to use stick shifts.

I'm probably a little older.

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2011

Cursive
    Knowing our facts as well as everyone else knowing where we all ranked!!!!
    Reading Groups based on ability...I was usually in the top group.
    Teacher's who had fun while teaching.
    Fear of getting in trouble more from what parents would say!!!
    Driver's training we did get intro-ed to a stick...big thing release parking brake or you just SHAKE!!! LOL!!!

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 27, 2011

This is tough. I can only think of one reverse example-I NEVER went to the movies. I remember seeing the Carebear movie with my dad and it was a huge treat. I feel movies are extremely common place now.

21. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2011

The year I had biology in 10th grade was the last year they decided to kill frogs so students could dissect them. It was because I pulled a little stunt when the boxes came the day before we were supposed to kill them. Because of what I did, we had to wait two more weeks and by that time the parents were in an uproar and the school was divided about whether it should be done.

They decided to go ahead with it but we had the option of sitting in the back of the class and writing a report instead. I cried the entire time I was writing and they were killing them. That is until a big football player fainted. Then it got exciting.

It was my one big moment of civil disobedience...or is that just disobedience? (In which case, there would be many more of those to come.)

22. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 28, 2011

We actually had on our Kinder report cards-colors in the lines, can cut (I actually failed cutting once because I'm a lefty and only had right-handed scissors-still cut right-handed today because of that), social skills, ties shoe laces. There's nothing like that in their Kinder standards now-it's reads 40 words, etc.

23. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2011

Kinder.. I remember in dental health month we had a dentist come in with this dummy & we got to keep it in our room to "clean" it's teeth.

I loved the letter people & having our snack for like 30 cents of milk & graham crackers!!! I believe our teacher even read the Bible...Oh the humanity!!!! LOL!!!

24. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2011

Way back in the day we had recess, no PE so it was kickball and softball everyday. Girls jumped rope or hopscotch. We had handwriting each year for a GRADE.........I made C's and A's in everything else. Hated it with a passion. JR high we had PE and had to wear navy blue gym shorts and white t-shirts and take showers. No big deal. Nowhere to hide so we did it.
    Learned mult tables in 4-5th WOrked out of SRA kits (high interest stories with 40-50 questions. Loved that.
    Had milk break in the morning for 10 min.

25. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2011

Some things I remember from school that they probably don't do anymore - graduated in 1998...

Handwriting and cursive
    DIAGRAMMING SENTENCES
    Keyboarding for a whole year
    My school still offered shorthand when I was there but I didn't take it.
    The nurse coming in and doing the teeth cleaning thing where you would chew that pill and then see how dirty your teeth were.
    Knew all the capitals (and I think I probably still do)
    Had film strips and record players
    Make notecards for research papers (I don't do these in my classroom anymore but I know some teachers do)

I never had to...
    Take a shower in gym
    memorize pieces of text (gettysburg address, poems, preamble, etc.)

26. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2011

I could never beat those little red pills no matter how good I brushed. 16 mm movies and the slide projectors were cool.
    I knew all those state capitals once. And thank God in Jr high we had 9 weeks of typing. I can type to this day from just that one class.

27. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Feb 28, 2011

The one thing we have now, that we didn't have then was standards of learning for each subject. It would have been nice to know what we were supposed to be learning - and didn't in many classes.

In high school, we dissected things and went on field trips. They don't do that anymore. The dissecting part is fine, but the field trips were great. There just isn't funding for them anymore.

28. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Feb 28, 2011

I graduated in 2004.

The only thing I can think of was that I didn't dissect anything, and I never read any Shakespeare.

29. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2011

When I taught 5th grade (2-3 years ago), my students learned the states/capitals and memorized the Preamble. We give handwriting grades up until 4th grade--students begin cursive in 2nd, review it in 3rd, and start writing only in it in 4th.
    I'm in a parochial school, and our students also have daily memory work.

I do miss having milk break in the morning--the most coveted job was getting to go to the kitchen to pick up the milk bucket, especially in August or May when you might have gotten to step into the walk-in fridge! Loved the graham crackers if we didn't bring snack, too. :)

30. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2011

Oh yes... such a big deal to go into the fridge & get our cart!!! Oh... Kindergarten was am or pm not all day!!! Oh my how did we or our parents survive?!?!

31. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2011

Our K is still only am or pm. No all day options in public school.

32. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 28, 2011

Things to play with on the play ground at recess. Now everything seems to be dangerous in some way or another.

Going home for lunch.

In school projects.
    Students creating coverings for cork boards.
    Students writing and performing plays about history.

Pointers to point to letters as we all say the letter and diagraph sounds.

Rubber cement - mmmmm what a smell
    Making batteries.
    Singing patriotic songs every morning.

Open response answers for everything. Never saw a multiple choice until the Iowa test.

33. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2011

Oh, yes...someone mentioned the dreaded red pill! Hated those. Talk about embarrassing! And the flouride treatment! Did anyone else have to do that? We were given little packets of flouride, we had to swish for thirty seconds, then try to spit the stuff back into the tiny packages, fold the top over without squeezing your spit everywhere, and then one special student came by to collect the trash in a special bag.

34. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 28, 2011

I think I had to do all of the memorization stuff and handwriting practice. We never had to shower after PE, but we never had showers either.

35. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2011

Do they still have that paste that tastes good?

36. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2011

My daughter came home last year (she was in K) with the dental pill (though it was purple, not red).

I remember actually PLAYING in kindergarten. I hated diagramming sentences. We started in 4th grade. I remember learning to write in cursive in the 3rd grade. We had to write in cursive for most teachers because they wouldn't take it if it were printed!

37. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 28, 2011

We were absolutely forbidden to use a calculator in math until I was in upper level math in high school.

We also had to diagram sentences and memorize poems/speeches, etc. I think there is still a place for that in education. There is something to be said for the ability to memorize facts.

38. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Feb 28, 2011

I remember:
      • learning cursive in FIRST grade
      • learning a few multiplication facts the last week of 2nd grade
      • copying definitions from the spelling book in 5th grade while my teacher sat behind her desk and drank soda from her cup and popped popcorn
      • having no "when i'm done early" activities and just talking with friends when we were done with our work
      • my 5th grade social studies teacher saying "who can read out loud really fast?" in the social studies textbook so we could be done with our lesson and get out to recess early since it was Friday
      • timed math facts tests in 1st grade...i'd always finish before the timer and draw on the back of the test
      • playing "where in the world is carmen san diego?" in the academically gifted class
      • science club for the bright kids called "kid's club"
      • getting pulled from class to go help kindergartners as part of enrichment for bright kids
      • reading macbeth and romeo & juliet in high school
      • putting on the "macbeth" play in 6th grade social studies (I was Lady MacBeth at first, but got unfairly switched to one of the witches)
      • we all had to memorize "Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow, creeps in this petty pace from day to day to the last syllable of recorded time..." from MacBeth
      • memorizing the bill or rights or something like that...."We the people..." (don't remember it now!)
      • taking showers if we wanted to in gym class in high school (i stopped when some girl got athlete's foot)
      • the teacher telling my mom I didn't get an "O" (outstanding) in a subject and instead getting an "S" (satisfactory) simply because I bragged too much even though I really earned an "O"...AND my mom was fine with it! (no principal meeting, arguing with the teacher, etc.)
      • I don't remember parents coming to eat lunch with their kids like they do now
      • parents didn't bring cupcakes/donuts to school on their kid's birthday...they just celebrated at home
      • I played in kindergarten (baby dolls, kitchen, trucks, dress-up...)
      • I also took daily NAPS in kindergarten on a red or blue mat (and NEVER fell asleep)
      • I got an N on my report card in kindergarten for telling the teacher my birthday was "June-the-July-the-12th" versus "July 12th"...yea that's what our 1-1 assessments were like
      • writing with the jumbo blue, green, or yellow pencils with no erasers in Kindergarten
      • the red dental pills!
      • the mall gave out free candy or something for every A on your report card

39. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2011

I remember the fluoride... I did that with my class... but we had little cups!!! I remember doing a cheer for the "Swish to the left, Swish to the right, Swish to the front, swish to the back. Stand up sit down, spit spit spit!!! LOL!!! One lil girl told me that she couldn't look at me because I would make her laugh!!!

We had a substitute long term & had to learn every American song... it was our handwriting & then our sub would push the piano down to our room & there we had our own little music class!!!

Who could be first to get the book that our teacher was going to read to the class!!!

RECESS... 2 of them a day!!!

40. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 28, 2011

My local elementary school still has milk break up through first grade :p

41. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2011

I have to say I remember kids who went to the Title 1 room, we all knew who they were & didn't care. Also when the kids left for the special ed room...half of us would remind them & we didn't care they were all our friends!!!