Common sense ain't so common...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Em_Catz, May 21, 2013.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

May 21, 2013

Has something that you assume is common sense ever been the complete opposite of what the other person thinks/does?

I experienced that last night around 9:30 when my fiance offered to run to the store to grab stuff for our lunch because we literally had nothing in the house to take. We even made a quick list that read, "Pastrami. Bread. Cereal Bars. Strawberries. Bananas. Sun Chips. Crystal Light."

He calls me from the store and says they're out of pastrami, that he'll go to another store to get some. I tell him not to worry about it because it's late, to just come home.

Imagine my surprise when he arrives home with NOTHING but a box of Crystal Light.

Now, here's what would have made sense to me. If someone sends me to the store for something specific and they don't have it, I would call and say, "Hey, they didn't have pastrami. Do you want ham or turkey instead?" or if I didn't feel like calling I would've grabbed something random for lunch and hoped for the best.

But I would have gotten SOMETHING because I feel like that's better than returning empty handed.

I explained that to him as kindly as possible and he's like, :confused:" then argues "But you said not to worry about it." (true)

So I countered with, "Alright. Well what are we supposed to eat for lunch tomorrow? And what did no pastrami have to do with you not grabbing the snacks and fruit?" and I got another confused/deer in headlights look. :lol:

I :wub: my fiance so much, but last night I wanted to fufu him. :dizzy:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 21, 2013

As in Little Bunny Fufu, bop him on the head?

4. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

May 21, 2013

Don't get mad, just tell him that's not what you meant and send him back out.

You have no idea how stressful it can be for a guy having to shop for someone else who's going to question everything... which I'm sure you don't, but that could be his impression.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 21, 2013

This would not happen to me because I will not send my husband to the store. If you want something done right you have to do it yourself LOL

6. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

May 21, 2013

lol yeah. not sure who started it, but it's caught on like wildfire in this area. :D

If it had been earlier I would've either sent him out or gone back out with him, but it was past 10 p.m. at that point, so after I explained to just grab something or ring me if confused, I (mostly) let it go and grabbed a sandwich on my way to work.

EXACTLY! :lol: I thought the list would suffice, but fiance found a way to complicate an uncomplicated situation.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 21, 2013

I just impressed that you can go out at 9:30 for groceries. Everything is closed by 9:00 here.

I never sent my ex to the grocery. He couldn't handle the pressure.

8. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 21, 2013

maybe next time say if they are out or you cant find ....then feel free to pick something else out :)

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 21, 2013

That is a Phone moment!:lol:
    You should have taken out your phone and snapped a picture of that man with his box of Crystal Light!:help:
    Some people are just wired that way, AND being with someone who has more sense SHOULD, and can be a good thing. You are definitely in that OA; Opposites attract thingy!
    Help the poor man out!
    Here's one to check out...
    A teacher takes 2 children to the bathroom that is located near a classroom that has 2 teachers, who can watch the kids for us when they come to the bathroom IF they are older. There is a staff bathroom next to the children's bathroom too. She brings the children out, AND says that she has to go to the bathroom. :rolleyes:HELLO! You could have taken care of that while you were in there! Now we have 2 more children to be supervised; puts the other teacher out of ratio, etc.
    Oh my goodness!
    Rebel1

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 22, 2013

Yeah, it's really interesting finding out how other people think...even in what are usually easy predicaments. If I sent my BF to the store with a list & there was something that the store didn't have, he'd know to call me to see what alternative to get. His cell is on his at all times. He definitely would have gotten the other items though.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 22, 2013

I don't understand why he didn't pick up the other items, unless it was related to lunch as well. As for assuming you should pick up something else to replace that lunch, I wouldn't have assumed that in our household. We might have preferred an eating out option if my favorite wasn't in place or even work/school cafeteria, for example.

But yeah, you have to be specific. If you wanted a replacement, you have to say you want a replacement. He did CALL you. He even offered to go to another store. Be careful about any arguments if you weren't specific. You want him to be willing to make grocery runs in the future.

Still not sure why no bananas, etc. unless you talked about those items as a side dish to the sandwich you were making vs. the Crystal Light which is obviously a staple.

Here's one for you though. Hubby decided he would grab a salad bar take out for me. It was his idea and one I liked because we were out of fresh veggies and I hadn't had any for the day. I didn't tell him that part. I just thanked him for the idea. He came home empty handed because the store he went to didn't have good selections like the last one he bought my yummy salad from. He didn't know why I was counting on it. I couldn't exactly be mad. He made me a grilled cheese sandwich or something similar for dinner. No way was I going to bite the hand that feeds me. I need him to be willing next time.

12. a2z

a2z Maven

May 22, 2013

I completely understand why he came home with 1 thing. He got the one item then proceeded to get the pastrami. Since there was none, he called and said he would go elsewhere to get it. She said not to bother, it is late, and JUST COME HOME. She meant "just come home once you pick up the rest of the stuff on the list". What she said was more direct. Since part of the comment was that it was late, picking up the rest of the items would make it later.

Yep, I live with some very literal people. I get this completely.

So frustrating, OP! :hugs:

13. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 22, 2013

I can relate. My common sense rarely matches dh's common sense. It can be very frustrating. We have learned to communicate very specifically, however. No assumptions. Usually.

I'm chuckling about the idea of bananas as a "side dish." :)

14. bros

bros Phenom

May 23, 2013

Bananas can be used as part of a side dish :p

http://www.yummly.com/recipes/side-dish-bananas

15. a2z

a2z Maven

May 23, 2013

Deal with people with communication issues long enough many odd behaviors become understandable.

Not saying hubby has communication issues. Yep, hubby probably should have thought things through.

Who knows, hubby may have been muttering to himself about why she sent him to the store then had him come home without getting anything else! Maybe he is on a chatboard complaining how the wife sent him out, got upset because there was no pastrami, and insisted he just come home. He didn't want to disagree with her so he just followed her directions to please her. Now they have no strawberries!

Perspective is a funny thing.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 23, 2013

What really gets me is that he didn't realize that HE would have no lunch if HE was the one going home emptyhanded?? Geesh LOL

17. a2z

a2z Maven

May 23, 2013

OP bought a sandwich on the way to work. Maybe it wasn't an issue because there are other alternatives to taking a lunch to work.

18. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

May 26, 2013

LoL, glad it made sense to someone! I appreciate that you understood my frustration though! <3 him to death but he can be so freaking random sometimes!

Bananas aren't really my top pick as a side dish, but we're both trying to trim up before the wedding, so we're trying to replace pie, cake and ice cream with yogart, fruit and other sweet things with less sugar.

I KNOW RIGHT! Not to brag but my fiance is extremely intelligent (went to college on a full academic scholarship, works with numbers and large sums of money all day, can take apart electronics and rebuild them), but practical things sometimes elude him.

It makes me laugh that someone can be so smart but so dense at the same time. I have no idea what he ended up eating for lunch that day and to be frank, i didn't really care because I was so blown by the whole situation.

The thing is, my school is surrounded by nothing but woods and houses, so it's about a 10 minute drive to food.

We have 30 minutes for lunch, though it's more like 25 because I lose about 2 minutes dropping off the kids and another 3 to pick them up.

So if I don't have a lunch packed, I either have to get up an leave the house 30 minutes early so I have time to grab something, or buy cafeteria food (which stinks because they charge us $5.00 and we get a kiddie portion, The kids on the other hand get either free food or pay $1 max.)

Leaving work at lunch time to grab a sandwich is really hard and I end up choking down the sandwich in the car because my the time I get back to my school, it's time to grab the kids.

19. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

May 26, 2013

:rofl:

20. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 26, 2013

OMG 3Sons you have hit the nail on the head !!!!

Remember we are men, we are simple,
    you said, "...that he'll go to another store to get some. I tell him not to worry about it because it's late, to just come home...." so he came home.

21. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 26, 2013

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

22. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 26, 2013

Just remember the next time he says, "Make me a sandwich ;)" you can say, "Get me some food!:mad:" LOL