Common Core ??

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Mrs. Mom, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jun 24, 2013

We are making the transition to common core standards this next year and have very little direction. (I've not been on these boards in a long time, either, so I've probably missed some good advice.) I am not overly worried about math, but reading/ELA has me baffled. We have been used to teaching with a basal reader....new vocab. weekly, a couple of targeted skills per week, a weekly story with comprehension questions, maybe a quiz over the story, and an assessment on Friday similar to our state test. Every 6 weeks we took unit tests to evaluate progress. In third grade I did small groups with leveled readers to practice fluency and comprehension. Writing class was separate, as was English. (BORING....)

I feel totally in the dark as to how a common core ELA class/lessons should be set up to benefit the students in the best possible way. I still have to use my old basal reader, but have been given "permission" to skip around and use the stories in whatever order I need to. If anyone has advice on how you have already set up lessons or what you are planning to do, I'd appreciate hearing your input. Thanks.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 24, 2013

Integrate your content (science and social studies) into your reading/writing lessons as much as possible. You can still keep reading and writing separate, but try to have them write about what they are reading more often.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 24, 2013

Many of the basals have been aligned to the CCSS - google the name of your basal and common core alignment to find yours - they are available free online. My district has decided (in the interest of not spending money) that we must use what we already have. Of course, they don't mind the teachers spending their own money, but we won't be reimbursed.

Check teacherspayteachers.com. There are many really well-done activities and assessments already created by other teachers - some of which are even free!

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2013

Check out the Basal Alignment Project. There are lots of useful resources available.