Common Core Testing and Special Ed.

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by countrygirl85, Aug 15, 2014.

1. countrygirl85

countrygirl85 Rookie

Aug 15, 2014

Hello Everyone,
    Our State has adopted common core which means our old way of testing won't be used anymore. As we begin a new year I want to make sure my students are ready for the test when it comes. I'm feeling frustrated because there are loads of examples of what the test will looks like for typical students, but I can't find any examples of what the test looks like for my population (moderate to severe autism). Can anyone point me in the right direction or share insight on testing?

3. ca_sped

ca_sped Rookie

Aug 16, 2014

I am in the same position. I teach Mod/Sev autism and I have no idea what the test is going to look like. I'm not sure my state has even adopted a new test for this population yet. Last year we just used the old test even as the other students moved to the new CCSS based one.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  4. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

Aug 17, 2014

Are your students on alternate testing? Only the most severe students in my district are on alternate testing; everyone else is on general assessment with accommodations. From what I've heard the alternative test is grossly unaligned with student abilities in those situations. (IE, memorizing parts of periodic tables. Regular testing students often have a copy if it in test and just have to apply the information!)