Common Core State Standard

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mrsammieb, Apr 25, 2012.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Apr 25, 2012

I don't know about you, but that is ALL we are talking about at PDs lately. I feel like the change is a good thing BUT it is a little vague. Today we went through our math materials (we use Everyday Math) and where is patterning? I mean, it has to be in there right? RIGHT?

What about graphing? Or is it really gone?

I am happy to see estimating and coins GONE but somethings are so important to beginning math thinkers. Am I missing it?

What are your feelings about CCSS?:dizzy:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2012

We are talking about it a lot too. In sixth grade many things were moved out and new things put in. I was a little worried about somethings that were moved but they were placed in other grades that will allow for more focus on them.

I'm sure if you check some older grades, you will find these concepts.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2012

Patterning is not in there, but you'll still do patterning, as numbers have patterns. Counting is a pattern, as is skip counting.

Money is out, but in my district we are still expected to do some things with money because we are transitioning from our old state standards to the CCSS and our assessments will be based on the old standards for a few more years.

I like the math a lot. I've been saying for years that we just need to focus on number sense in kindergarten.

5. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

May 5, 2012

We adopted it this year and I LOVE IT!!! Patterning was moved to preschool. However, as we know, not all children go to preschool. I do still teach it, I just don't necessarily assess it. We use Math Expressions and let me tell you, my children have excellent number sense. I know one of the standards is add/subtract fluently within 5 and the majority of my students can do it within 10! :) My children are composing/decomposing numbers to 10 and have not only discovered place value but actually UNDERSTAND it! That is a first for me!:) I'm very pleased with the common core!!!:) FINALLY, it's AGE APPROPRIATE!!!!:) My husband teaches high school math and he said my students have better number sense than many of his students! I"m hoping by the time these guys get to high school, math will be easier for them because of their strong math foundation!!!

6. hatima

hatima Devotee

May 13, 2012

I'm actually goint to a workshop on Common Core this summer. I got used to the state standard, which are overwelming in abundance. My graduate program expects us to use common core. I find it remarkably detailed (I've really only looked at Literacy). However, I find it strange not to have science and social studies standards to directly worry about.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 13, 2012

They have now released a draft of science standards called the next generation science standards. Many states are looking to adopt these in addition to the common core ela and math.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 13, 2012

I'm halfway excited about them. I've read through them, and they are a HECK of a lot clearly, more precise, and more streamlined (vertical alignment-wise) than the Florida standards. I'm going to training this summer.

I'm not excited about the rumor my county may be disregarding the state implementation timeline, and that I'll be using them next school year on with three days of training. I'm also not excited to see how my county mucks them up in a Scope and Sequence.

9. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

May 13, 2012

I've had five half-day trainings on the math standards. I like that they seems to cover less topics but go deeper into each concept. That will leave more time for critical thinking and true understanding of math processes. However, it all seems really overwhelming at the same time. My students will try a problem for less than thirty seconds before giving up and saying that they "don't know" (yes, I have timed it). This whole push for rich problems where students guide the discussion and critique each other is going to be difficult for them to grasp and do on a weekly basis.

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 13, 2012

I'm spending my summer moving my classroom content to CommonCore. I'm looking forward to the challenge!

11. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

May 13, 2012

I am crossing my fingers that the state will really follow them and not "add" more to make us smarter than all the other states. Our district was pretty clear that it isn't a curriculum. So we still have to write that part of it.

I would love to see everyone's scope and sequence by month.