Common Core Standards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ClassicPooh2, Feb 26, 2013.

1. ClassicPooh2

ClassicPooh2 Rookie

Feb 26, 2013

Our school district has asked each grade level to examine their ELA Common Core Standards and break them down into 10 Power Standards. Our grade level is having a difficult time narrowing this down. Has anyone else had to do this? What standards did you feel were the NEED TO KNOW? We appreciate any help.

3. gebakat

gebakat Rookie

Feb 27, 2013

It's difficult because ALL of the common core standards are considered essential! My school also decided to go with "prioity standards" Big mistake in my opinion. Some teachers now think they onlly need to focus on those few standards.

4. ClassicPooh2

ClassicPooh2 Rookie

Feb 28, 2013

gebakat- Those are the same points we have been trying to argue. These have already been deemed "important" and won't people just concentrate on the "10" they've chosen? That would put us right pack where we started.

We don't have a problem unpacking the standards, prioritizing, etc but "getting rid of" does not seem right.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2013

We did this as well. We don't see it as getting rid of standards. Instead, these are the standards that are reported on the report card.

I would look at standards that include other standards. For instance, in order to read CVC words, students need to know letter sounds.

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Feb 28, 2013

Here are the ones on our report cards:

I can demonstrate understanding of grade level literary and informative texts with support as needed by the end of the year.

I can describe the connection between a series of events, ideas or concepts or steps in procedures in informational text.

I can describe how words and phrases provide rhythm and meaning in a story or poem.

I can acknowledge differences in the points of view of characters.

I can know and use various informational text features including captions, bold print, subheadings, glossaries, indexes, and icons to locate key facts or information in text.

I can compare and contrast two or more versions of the same story.

I can compare and contrast important points presented by two informational texts on the same topic.

I use context as a clue or known root words to gain meaning of an unknown word.

I can demonstrate understanding of figurative language.

I can apply grade level phonics and word analysis skills to decode words.

I can demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.

I can use collective nouns, irregular plural nouns, adjectives and adverbs.

I can demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation and spelling in writing and speaking.

7. ClassicPooh2

ClassicPooh2 Rookie

Feb 28, 2013

Queenie- Thanks for the listing. Are these choices working for you? How did you reach your decision?

8. queenie

queenie Groupie

Mar 1, 2013

Also, we just saw a draft of yet another new report card that's supposedly up and coming and it doesn't include grades at all- just a big empty box for each subject that we are going to have to type information into- sort of like anecdotal notes to parents...ugh.

9. ClassicPooh2

ClassicPooh2 Rookie

Mar 2, 2013

Will the Common Core really be as Common as they would like?

10. queenie

queenie Groupie

Mar 3, 2013

There are still some choices that states can make within the strands, which means not every state will have exactly the same standards, but I think it's a step in the right direction. Not that it matters, really. Something else will take its place in a few years...:p

11. applecore

applecore Devotee

Mar 3, 2013

I'm going to go out on a limb and ask a silly question....

Do you have to come up with "I can..." statements with the new CCS?

I'm asking because I've been seeing NUMEROUS school districts and teachers posting on blogs and websites the "I can..." statements to use with the new CCS in order to keep track of mastery in these areas.

12. applecore

applecore Devotee

Mar 3, 2013

Funny in an ironic way, I read in a CCS education article that it was supposed to be that students could move from one city/state to another without missing any piece of the education process, but state rights and educational constitutions apparently have affected that idea.

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2013

We need We can statements posted that match the CCS that we are teaching.

14. applecore

applecore Devotee

Mar 5, 2013

I thought you were being funny for a second, and then reality hit me and I started agreeing BIG time. :lol:

Is this what you were saying: We can teach....? :haha:

15. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2013

My district makes us post statements about our standards. These statements are in the form We can... So, we can count to 100. We can divide large numbers.

16. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 5, 2013

I like the word "We can" instead of "I Can" but this is the first I'm hearing of "We can" and I just bought CCSS sentence strip cards with CCSS on one side and the matching "I can" statement on the other side so I guess I can explain to my students that we need to turn the "I can" into a "We can" by working together collaboratively so that "Everyone Can" !!!!!

17. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2013

WindyCity---that's the reasoning behind the We Can statements. We all (as a class) support everyone in their learning.

18. applecore

applecore Devotee

Mar 5, 2013

oh, I see!

I like that.

Reminds me of TSWBAT (the student will be able to...) when I had to write lesson goals on those amazingly long lesson plans way back in the day.

19. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 5, 2013

makes sense! I like it too!