common core standards

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miller59, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Jul 12, 2012

Hey -- my small, private school is considering the common core standards. I'm just now poking around to read about them. Do any of you now follow the CCS or are you getting ready to make that transition? It's a little hard to find unbiased information.

Hope all are well!

3. melnm

melnm Companion

Jul 12, 2012

I keep reading about them but am uncertain as to exactly what they are. I looked up a little but looks like Texas hasn't adopted them yet. Are they standards that will line up with all states across the country? I also teach in a small private school, but I don't see us adopting them.

4. Vee

Vee Rookie

Jul 12, 2012

This site is super helpful for actual lessons by grade or subject. The university requires student teachers to post lessons with common core standards to here and all can use it for free.
    here is the link with spaces in between:
    H t t p:// w w w .l e a r n.o r g/scos

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2012

Unless I am missing something, they don't pertain to preschool, right?

6. christine89

christine89 Companion

Jul 12, 2012

From what I've seen they don't pertain to preschool. I've only seen them start at K. However if I'm mistaken and there are some for preschool, I'd love to know about them since I do PreK and K.

7. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Jul 12, 2012

Well so far I have only found standards MA is proposing. I thought they went to PreK -- some articles I've read state that PreK will have to get more rigorous so that children are prepared for K -- but I"m not finding much. I am finding lots of pros and cons. I'm glad I've done some reading up.

8. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Jul 13, 2012

NJ has pre-k common core standards. Our school uses them. There are quite a few.

9. Teacher87

Teacher87 Rookie

Jul 13, 2012

I believe that NY has common core standards for Pre-K. My state (IL) does not yet. Our school district is beginning to use them for K-8.

10. pabef

pabef Comrade

Jul 13, 2012

My state of MS has adopted the CCS. They do not apply to pre-school, but they push us to do more with our kids to get them ready to meet the standards in kindergarten. Kids have to learn too much in my opinion, but I still make it fun!