Common Core Standards

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jillybean, Mar 12, 2012.

1. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Mar 12, 2012

Do anyone have Science common core standard? I can not find them any where! I am from Ohio and all we have in model curriculum. I was looking for a place that had all the standard all laid out. The model curriculum is very hard to read.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2012

There are only science common core standards for ELA. There are no science common core standards as of yet. There is a plan in place and team working on the Next Generation Science Standards, but these have yet to be released to the public and are the closest thing to common core science standards. Not all states have looked at adopting these yet either.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 12, 2012

We were told we would maintain our state's science standards. But, we will implement (add on) the reading/writing standards for science from CommonCore.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 12, 2012

For now, the place where I've found all Common Core info is at http://www.corestandards.org/the-standards. Your best bet may be to check out the math standards and ascertain how they will affect your curriculum. I know we're trying to completely adopt CCS by next year, but I'm not sure of Ohio's deadline to comply.

6. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 12, 2012

Well, as I see that my state has "adopted" these, I looked them up for language arts (formerly, and in some opaquely arcane way, erroneously known as "English").

It appears to be a collection of the obvious rendered up in tortured language festooned with jargon. Thankfully, this is the most nearly benign form which this sort of nonsense takes.

I foresee the prospect of nugatory paperwork, but no actual damage to the curriculum. Thanks be.

I have not yet seen this thing hereabout, nor have I heard of it much. Maybe it is in one of those vinyl notebooks, in a cabinet. Requiescat in pace, thou Aeneid of the postmodern age!

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2012

The next generation science standards are supposed to be released for initial public viewing in early spring...so that's soon.

8. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Mar 12, 2012

For us, there is only talk about this at this point.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 12, 2012

The only science that has been released so far have been the science/literacy standards. Our state will be re-writing our science standards, but they won't come out until 2015, the after full CCSS implementation.