Common Core Standards

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Mrs. Rubble, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Mrs. Rubble

Mrs. Rubble Rookie

Oct 21, 2011

Happy Friday!!

Our state has adopted the common core standards. For those of you that are also following them, can you please give me some advice or maybe some direction to find resources that truly align to the standards? Some of the 1st grade language standards seem very inappropriate (distinguishing between simple and compound sentences, identifying possessive nouns, conjunctions, articles, determiners:dizzy:)

How do you all feel about the standards? What processes have your schools used to map your standards with available resources.

If you can't tell by my multitude of questions, I am feeling very stressed!

3. frogger

frogger Devotee

Oct 21, 2011

That is the problem right now - there aren't many resources out there that truly align with the standards. The state I'm in has "unpacked the standards" as well as we had district wide training at the end of last year about the math and ela standards. Frankly, a lot of it so far has been us as a grade level seeking out information to help us teach.

4. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2011

When I have looked at them they seem much mellower compared to the state standards the state I live in currently has.

5. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

Oct 26, 2011

Our state has also adopted CCS. I personally feel like the standards we are required to teach these days are not always developmentally appropriate. I feel like students are being pushed to be "super students" way too quickly. I am very tired of hearing about "pushing students," and "high standards." I think it's possible to set high standards for students without pushing them into standards better suited to older students.