Common Core standards book

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by nyteacher29, Aug 10, 2013.

1. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 10, 2013

has anyone found/read a detailed book on the common core standards, specifically for the social studies classroom? I understand the concepts of the ccs and do know the standards but I'm looking to deepen my understanding about how to really incorporate the ccs within my instruction but I can't seem to find a book that specifically addresses social studies and we have yet to be given a strong PD on it. :help:

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 10, 2013

The Common Core standards have been adopted nationwide in Math and Reading/Language Arts. Science has been written, but schools won't be implementing them for awhile. Right now, there are no Social Studies Common Core standards.

I know for Social Studies for me, I am still sticking to our state standards (plus our private school adds a few more) until CC standards are developed. Many CC books that I have read are grade specific. I don't know if one has been made that I could recommend to you.

4. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 10, 2013

Unfortunately we are being held to the ccs where i work and are part of our evaluations despite no official Ss ccs curriculum. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions / ideas that seem to work well for them.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 10, 2013

The Common Core reading and writing (literacy) standards apply to Social Studies.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 10, 2013

I googled: common core social studies lesson plans
    and found several sites outlining lesson ideas.
    Might be a starting place.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 10, 2013

why don't check www.sharemylesson.net, they have lessons in all grades and subject areas, and I believe they're all / most aligned with common core. I've only looked at English, there they actually listed the standards the lesson is aligned with, not sure how it is with social studies, but it's worth to tale a look.

Also the teaching channel.org has a lot of videos, in a lot of subject areas, and they give some really good ideas.

8. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 11, 2013

Thank you all for the suggestions!

9. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 11, 2013

10. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 11, 2013

If you want a deeper understanding of the standards themselves, I'd recommend read Pathways to the Common Core. Your school probably has a copy.