Common Core Math Standards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 1st-yr-teacher, Jul 28, 2012.

1. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 28, 2012

I have been looking through the standards for math. This is the only standard that I could find that mentions money specifically in grades k-2.

2.MD.8. Solve word problems involving dollar bills, quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies, using $ and ¢ symbols appropriately. Example: If you have 2 dimes and 3 pennies, how many cents do you have?

This is in 2nd grade. I went through and looked at K and 1 standards but did not see any math standards that mentioned money. When are students supposed to learn the names of coins and the amount? In my opinion, the above standard doesn't deal with learning how to identify coins. Am I missing a standard in K or 1? Should I gather that to complete this standard, I have to teach the names of coins and amount?

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 28, 2012

I am not familiar with the K-2 standards, but I have heard primary teachers in my building worrying about the lack of focus on money.

4. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 28, 2012

I had a discussion about money recently. If anything, money is even more of an abstract concept than it was before. Many students these days don't have regular access to cash and many of their shopping experiences with mom and dad involve debit cards. Who knows what will happen down the line.

5. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 28, 2012

My main concern is that these standards were created to make it so that students in 2nd grade in one state will be learning the same thing as 2nd graders in another. However, I feel that the standards are pretty vague and nonspecific so it will ultimately be up to interpretation.

I guess I could have the whole thing misunderstood.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2012

I've heard that this is the only standard that is really teaching about money in the standards as well. Our K and 1 teachers have added in a standard for our district to work on money in these grades. However, you may need to assume that this is the first time the students will see money.

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2012

I think it's going to be one of those "real life" skills that parents are expected to teach.

FWIW, Money isn't part of the 3rd grade CCSS either.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 29, 2012

We have been told that, even if something is NOT one of the standards, we will still be expected to teach it. For example, money or more than just halves & quarters for fractions. Many of the first grade teachers I have talked with are very worried about things like this.

9. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

In my opinion, these standards are not going to acheive what they were created to do in education. I feel that they are very broad and leaves a lot to be desired. I just don't understand why they couldn't make them more specific. It makes no sense to have a standard about money in 2nd grade when money hasn't even been introduced in earlier grades. Now, if the standard said students should learn to identify coins and their amounts along with the standard listed above, that is fine.

10. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

I wonder how that will go in schools where parents have to work 24/7 to provide for their kids. For some schools, it is already a difficult enough task getting homework completed and returned.

11. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 29, 2012

I always incorporate money into calendar so even if I don't explicitly teach it this year in Kinder, they will still have a basic understanding of coins and their values. I haven't had a chance to fully look through all the standards, but they do seem awfully vague and open ended, where they could be taken in several different directions. I'm going to use the CCSS, but I'll also refer back to my old state standards to see any gaps and fill those gaps.

12. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Jul 29, 2012

New York state added money into our first grade common core math standards, exactly for the reasons that were mentioned. It was hard to justify 2nd graders being able to master the skill without having some type of exposure previously.

If anyone is interested this is the standard New York added in for us: Recognize and identify coins, their names, and their value.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 29, 2012

Louisiana also added money into our Comprehensive Curriculum for math (still being revised). I think the stance Louisiana is taking is that the CCSS are the minimum we are to teach.

14. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 30, 2012

I may be wrong, but I thought money and calendar routines have been sort of rerouted to the social studies ccs. There are definitely some gaps and 'assumed' learning in cc though.

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 30, 2012

Louisiana just revised our SS Comprehensive Curriculum, and have divided it into several strands, one of which is Economics, but the closest it comes to teaching about money is "show ways to save money." UGH