Common Core interview questions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ktmiller222, Jun 10, 2014.

1. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 10, 2014

What are some interview questions that you may be asked in an interview that deals with the common core and what are some answers to those questions? I've never been asked but I think it would be helpful to prepare. Any help would be great!

3. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 10, 2014

Yesterday I was asked what my thoughts were on Common Core.

I've also been asked what my experience with it has been, and how I would use it to direct my instruction.

4. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 10, 2014

This pretty much mirrors my experience during interviews.
    Sheilah

5. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jun 10, 2014

I've just been asked how much I know about common core.

6. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Jun 11, 2014

I was asked the same questions as MissD59. I was also asked how I would integrate reading/language arts/writing into a social studies curriculum (it was for a social studies position). So I would imagine they might ask the same questions for a science position even. Everyone seems big on emphasizing that with Common Core you're integrating reading/LA into everything. So give some examples on how you would do that. Hope that helps!

7. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jun 11, 2014

This may sound stupid, but didn't teachers integrate LA/reading into other subject areas anyway? Maybe the old-school teachers don't/didn't. I just remember in my university classes, all they would talk about is integrating reading/LA into everything else. I just thought it was common practice no matter how many years a teacher has been teaching.

8. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 11, 2014

Of course they did. Common Core is amateurish b.s. that was created by non-educators for reasons other than intellectually nourishing experiences for kids ($$$). Anything in there that is not objectionable is simply Stuff That Decent Teachers Have Always Done.

I've actually said as much (less bluntly) in interviews, including the one which resulted in my new position for the a Fall.

9. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Jun 11, 2014

I second that Rhesus! It is totally what teachers have always done. To me that means it's not worth stressing over in an interview because that's just a natural teacher ability in my opinion. I think it's extremely brave and also hilarious that you made that opinion in your interviews! Good for the school that hired you not trying to act like we're all something we're not!

10. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jun 11, 2014

Lol Rhesus and Msmac21. You guys are funny. I kind of figured it wasn't anything completely new, but when other people were making such a big deal about it, I started to question myself.

11. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 12, 2014

The reason a big deal is being made of it is because, as a more powerful version of NCLB, things are tied to it like federal funding, teacher evaluations, the high stakes testing industry, etc. But content-wise, it is folderol. The ELA standards are simply a simpleton's version of New Criticism, a literary theory movement that came and went out of fashion in the 1940s and '50s. The goal is (I think) to simplify writing so that the standardized tests can be more easily and cheaply scored (probably by computers, eventually).

I tend to be very direct and honest in interviews, even though I surely blow a few. How else can I and a hiring school determine a good fit? If I were out of work, and not just moving from one school to another, I'd behave better.;)

12. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 12, 2014

Here's a handy tip without putting in my personal opinions on Common Core like Rhesus did (and I'm not saying that I entirely disagree with Rhesus AT ALL, but I try to tone it down for interviews).

Especially for ELA, the Common Core standards examine a smaller number of specific skills and require students to delve into them deeper, opposed to standards that may have been in place previously. Think of the curriculum information narrowing, but requiring students to get more involved and more closely examine them.

During my last interview when they asked what I thought of them, I spoke about that, but was a bit more honest when I said that it wasn't so much the standards that I had an issue with, but the way that they were being implemented and how much weight/how much the curriculum is depending solely on the tests. Feel free to leave that part out, lol.