Common Core & Data Mining?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by karebear76, Jun 13, 2013.

1. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jun 13, 2013

In reference to a link shared on facebook, The New American, has an article that describes data mining as a critical part of common core.

Have any of you seen or heard of this? I am very alarmed as my children attend a RttT school. I do not want my children connected to any sensors to collect data.

This is way beyond scary to me.

Thoughts or opinions? I'll post the link in a few after I find it again.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/education/item/15213-data-mining-students-through-common-core

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 13, 2013

Last year was my second year teaching full time from CCS. My assessments were all entered into a computer program. It's linked to every kid and the personal information that is in the state grading/attendance system.

It's all a little "big brother" to me.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 14, 2013

Well, I am so glad you started this thread. I have been reading a lot about the data gathering and how it's being used. As a parent, I am very concerned and ready to get active regarding third party use of my children's personally identifiable data, and even the data that does not identify my children personally.

I thought this had been illegal without parental consent, due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Apparently that may not have been the case.

According to this article,

I'm off to see a movie, but I'll check back here later.

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 15, 2013

There is no doubt that this sort of thing is the way we gradually lose freedoms... we are in need (states need money), they offer it to us, we are in no position to refuse, so we accept and are obligated in any number of ways, like this.

It is hard to complain about though because... not to get political, but this is what we voted for (in '08, and now '12) when we elected Mr. "Change".

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 15, 2013

I was Star Trek, finally! What a rush :)

Back to the topic. Using student data to guide product development (to make the product work better for the students; to make the students buy the product) sounds like good business.

There are many strong reasons NOT to treat human education as a business. It's just not a good fit.

7. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Jun 15, 2013

This link is to Diane Ravitch's Blog and has to do with InBloom, Bill and Melinda Gates' version of BIG BROTHER. Lots of comments from her readers, too!
    :eek: Scary stuff!! http://dianeravitch.net/2013/03/14/big-data-and-your-child/

8. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jun 15, 2013

So, how do we fight this? I don't even know who to begin contacting. Or, are we left with the homeschool option, and going off the grid so as to disappear from Big Brother's eyes?

I'm asking first as a parent, but followed by my teacher side as well. I teach students with very personal data at times, and they deserve privacy on all fronts.

My gut reaction is to call the administrators for the district of residence and ask point blank what data they have collected on my children already and what has been done with that data, and what is ahead. The reality is the administrators probably couldn't or wouldn't answer.

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 16, 2013

This is how New York parents are fighting back. They got a bill introduced and passed saying parents could "opt out" of the data sharing process. They wanted the law to say that parents who want their child's information in data pool have to "opt in," but that was not the outcome.

I just wrote to my rep:

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2013

I want to understand this.

Who exactly would be a third party and why would they have or want access to student records?

Everything we do is through the computer now. Assessments, lesson plans (which is an entire other usage and copyright issue), grades, you name it.

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 16, 2013

JustMe, third parties can be vendors that make products to sell to schools, parents, teachers, students, districts, etc. They might be selling test prep or tutoring and target kids with low math scores. They might be recruiters for the military who target low scoring boys in their senior year.

They probably include people who provide software and services to mine data - so they will have access to the data itself, and get paid to parse through looking for whatever pieces of information the district wants.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2013

Got it...that makes sense. I knew there had to be reasons why someone would sort through the data but I wasn't sure what they were.

I'm really curious if third parties have access to our state's system.

13. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 16, 2013

I was so sleepy writing my last post last night. Some other nefarious reasons to want student data include insurance companies looking for disabilities, the government looking for undocumented families, and obviously, school systems looking to eliminate bad teachers.

Since the big corporate leaders are funding the databases (collection, mining, sharing, reporting) they are profiting off information about our kids. When we use a "free" service like Facebook, then ok, they are giving it to us in return for a LOT of info about us; but school is not a service provided by a corporation (yet) so they are basically getting a lot of profit-making information free. I wonder if they are providing the servers and services free to districts in return for data.

14. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jun 16, 2013

I guess we start with our senators and representatives. Like someone commented, as a responsible citizen, I guard my own identity and shred documents and receipts to hopefully thwart any would be thief, yet my minor children aren't entitled to that same protection? As a parent, my job is to shield my children as long as possible from the harsh realities of life, while preparing them to make responsible decisions upon adulthood.

I don't sign blanket permission slips for simple mundane things, I definitely would not consent to the storing of PII on my children.

Technology is far from infallible. If someone is able to create it, someone else is able to breach it. Hosting this data on Amazon doesn't seem like the most secure way.

15. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 16, 2013

16. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 17, 2013

Wow, I didn't know about all this. I'm glad I'm in a state that opted out of common core.

Even so, Americans in general have signed away more of their rights to privacy than most of us realize. I used to think that people off the grid were a little "out there", but maybe they are not.

17. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Jun 18, 2013

I wonder if Bill and Melinda would like their own children's, grand-children's, great grand-children's etc. etc. personal information out there for all to see (and "mine").

Remember, once it's out there on the net it will be there forever...

18. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

19. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 18, 2013

Good read, KU-Alum. It is important to make the argument clear - it's against the Bill & Melinda Gates' funded inBloom database and its contents. Nothing to do with the CCSS except that with all the new testing being done on computers, there will be more data dumped into them more easily.

20. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 19, 2013