Common Core books that link with ss

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherguy111, Jul 11, 2013.

1. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jul 11, 2013

Hey guys,
    havent posted in a while. i have just accepted a new job working at a middle school. I am teaching 6th and 8th grade language arts. I am working on 3 "anchor" novels for each grade. My school is covering all of their social studies standards in other classes. As I the only person certified for ss I have to try and get as many ss standards covered in my la class as I can...... So I am trying to pick novels that coincide with

So far I have:
    6th - the egypt game (linked with social studies - ancient cultures)
    - hoot (linked with science as they are doing animals, living things etc)

I really need a third book for 6th grade that links with ohio's ss standards. They mostly cover ancient cultures, egypt, china, mesapotamia etc

8th grade - johnny tremain (linked with ss - american revolution)
    - trouble don't last (linked with ss - slavery/underground railroad)
    -to kill a mockingbird (it goes past middle school ss standards but I desperately wanted to do it still)

Do you guys think the ones I have are ok? What else could I use for 6th grade novel?

3. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 11, 2013

Doesn't sixth grade also do world religions as well? Is there a novel that covers Buddhism or some lesser known religion? I will do some Amazon searching....

I think TKAM totally fits with 8th grade. You can tie in the racial stereotypes that were originally formed during slave times and how they were still relevant and alive during the setting of the book.

4. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jul 11, 2013

I just searched and found the book "The Golden Bull" which is about ancient mesopotamia. Has anyone read this? It seems a little low but sounds like it is a good picture of what life was like in that time period and place.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 11, 2013

I really, REALLY recommend http://www.sharemylesson.com/ to everyone trying to gather CCSS curriculum from scratch. It's shared ideas that are very well developed.

6. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 11, 2013

Great resource...thanks for sharing it! :)

7. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2013

Just adding to cat, the original version of the site mentioned is the British one at http://www.tes.co.uk/ For world history I've found it has quite a bit more content than the US version.

To the original topic, since the common core focus is so heavily on non-fiction why not look in that direction for social studies content?

8. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 11, 2013

If you do Medieval Europe, I love Crispin and the Cross of Lead. The Golden Goblet is a great ancient Egypt one. There are three awesome picture books about the epic of Gilgamesh by Ludmilla Zeman.