Common Core and A-Gs, CA Math Teachers help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rockguykev, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2013

My district in its "transition" to Common Core next year is requiring nearly all of our 8th graders to retake Alg 1 as 9th graders. These are kids that have passed the course, many with As, and passed all the required tests. They will already have received A-G (college eligibility credit) for the course as 8th graders. This means they cannot possibly reach AP Calculus in our district unless they take a class at a local college to get ahead first.

Students that are currently in High School will be "grandfathered" in to the current system and allowed to continue on the Calculus path as always. This was done not for A-G considerations but simply for HS credit reasons.

My concern, beyond holding our high achievers back, is that my kids are not going to be competitive come college app time in 4 years.

I'd like to know how other districts are handling this. Are your kids who had Alg 1 this year as 8th graders repeating it next year? Is your district dropping Alg 1 8th grade completely (as mine is)? How are parents and teachers reacting?

Though this is primarily a CA question (since we had statewide 8th grade Alg 1) I'd love to hear from anyone on this.

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 23, 2013

I don't have a lot of information, but just a comment that the 9th grade math teachers at my local school have told me they wished all kids would retake algebra in 9th grade, because they have found even those that did well in 8th grade don't have the same knowledge base as those who took it in high school. I think at our school the kids could still take calculus as an elective as seniors.

4. KateL

KateL Habitué

Apr 23, 2013

My district (and I think my whole county) is going towards integrated math classes instead of the traditional algebra and geometry. Next year, all of the freshmen will take Math 1, which is a combination of the easier standards of algebra and geometry, and is much more project-based. Math 2 and 3 aren't ready to go yet, but my understanding is that after Math 3, students will be ready for Calculus in their senior year, if they so desire.

5. Math

Math Cohort

Apr 23, 2013

Can students double up their sophomore year? Taking Geometry and Algebra 2? That is what most of the students in my algebra 2 class are doing.

6. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2013

They cannot double up due to the integrated plan as described by Kate above. I am still wondering how any of this fits the A-Gs, I guess I'll check with the UC regents.

I think it is silly to have all kids retake alg 1. Certainly some, maybe even many, but I've known plenty (myself and siblings included) who did not and performed very well in math all along. That said, common core will essentially make it a 9th grade standard. That's all well and good when the UCs match it but I haven't seen that they have.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 23, 2013

8th graders who successfully pass Algebra will take Geometry in 9th grade (provided they also pass the placement test for 8th graders who've taken Algebra). There are some 8th graders who've taken Algebra, gotten an A or B, yet didn't pass the placement test. Those students have to repeat Algebra as a freshmen.

Some 8th grade students who don't pass the placement test take Algebra in summer school so they can still take Geometry in 9th grade. In fact, that's what the 8th grade teachers recommend.

8. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2013

Thanks Young, that has always been the policy in my district as well until now. I'm afraid that if other districts maintain that while mine doesn't my kids are going to be in real trouble in the future.

Well, minus the summer school part since we stopped offering that three years ago...

9. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Apr 24, 2013

It doesn't look like New York is changing its order of classes, just changing the currently existing classes to meet CC, so I don't think we'll see what you're describing here. Algebra will still be offered to 8th graders, Geometry to 9th, Alg2/Trig to 10th.

I guess it depends on the school, but I wasn't accelerated in math when I was in middle school and my first two years of high school. When I was in HS, NYS had a totally different math curriculum, but "translating" it to the current model, I took Remedial Algebra in 9th, Geo in 10th, Accelerated Alg2/Trig in 11th, and then I skipped Precalc to take AP Calc BC in 12th. I had to work with my guidance counselor and do a ton of summer work to get the P's approval to skip Precalc.

That being said, it can be done, so it could be an option for your kids.

10. KateL

KateL Habitué

Apr 24, 2013

I double checked with the math department today.

For students who want to take Calculus in high school, they need to take honors math classes starting freshman year. The honors classes will get them ready for Calculus by the time they finish Math 3; the regular math classes will not. We only require 3 years of math to graduate, so the rest of the students will not take math their senior year, or they might start offering a statistics elective. (Or, as now, many students will fail one or more math classes, so they will be frantically trying to make up credits their senior year.)

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Apr 24, 2013

Sounds like a nightmare.

It is silly. We still have algebra 1 in 8th, or as early as in 7th for the accelerated kids. I don't see that changing any time soon, and we are already full on board with the Common Core this year in our alg 1-geo-alg 2 sequence.

12. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2013

Thanks again for the information all.

I'm already hearing some "Well, we didn't really say that..." from district people (though, they did in fact say it) so hopefully continually raising the questions with them might at least get some movement for my current kids.

They still aren't doing algebra 1 for 8th but they are also now saying they will continue the traditional naming/sequence structure in high school... not sure how those two things match up but it's movement at least.

13. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Apr 26, 2013

This makes me sad. We need to nurture our high ability students to remain globally competitive.