Coming in Quietly

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by purplecrazy21, Mar 17, 2008.

1. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Mar 17, 2008

Hi!
    How many of you teachers require your students to enter the classroom completely silent?
    This may seem like a weird question, but I do have a purpose.
    I was observed today by our A.P.(who is only there once a week and rarely sees me in any other fashion...that's another vent).
    Anyway, on my observation she wrote that my K students need to come in quietly because we had just walked back from the computer lab(they were quiet in the hall). When they came into the room a couple were loud and were calling across the room to friends. I had also just changed seeting so they were excited about finding their new seat.
    Anyway, after they found their spot, I gave them ten seconds to lower their voices and start workng on the page on their desk. The room got almost completely silent after my 10 second count.
    I am just wondering how many of you require complete silence when entering your classroom after returning from various places.
    I don't like my students to be loud. However, I don't mind if they talk quietly and appropriately as long as they stop when I give the signal.
    My group is really talkative so I find that letting them talk for a minute after returning helps to make them quieter and calmer when we start working.
    I guess my problem is the A.P.'s comment made it sound like my students need to be completely slient at all times. She mentioned that they need to use their inside voices. I agree, but I have one student who despite repeated attempts to quiet him has no volume control. He is loud no matter what.
    Today she was also making my students sit all the way down in their chairs. They have a tendency either to sit with one knee on the chair and one leg on the floor or stand beside their table. I don't mind either as long as they're not tipping in the chair or bothering others. These chairs are very uncomfortable even for kindergarten.
    I believe in structuring my teaching style to meet the needs of each child in my class and to meet the needs of the particular group.
    I just don't like feeling like I'm being micromanaged in my own classroom. I pick my battles and a student sitting in a chair or a few loud voices for a minute are not battles that I want to fight. I have bigger issues :)

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 17, 2008

I never require complete silence when we enter the room. In the hall they know that I am very strict about no talking because we are an open concept school and it disrupts a lot of classes to chat in the hall. I think they need to be able to tell me what happened and to tell their friend something if needed. It is much better to do it at that time than during a lesson. I even allow quiet talking at their own table during some of their work times :eek: (if I am not teaching and depending on what it is). I want them to talk about what they are doing and learning. Your routines sound like they work and are reasonable for your management style, the grade you teach, and this group of students.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 17, 2008

When they first enter in the morning I actually expect them to be talking - I brought this note from my mother, or I forgot my homework, or even just "good morning". They don't get very much time to just talk to each other during the day, so I really don't mind it. I get very suspicious of classrooms where kids are silent all the time. Your administrator would not have liked my room last week-we had a michevious leprechaun and they were very excited to see if he had visited every time they returned to the classroom. They're 5-years old for pete's sake!

5. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Mar 17, 2008

Thank you ladies. That's exactly how I feel too. Why are we trying to squash these kids into silence all the time?
    They are 5. No matter what, they are not EVER going to be completely silent. I'd rather have them talking coming into the room than talking when I'm teaching reading or math.
    On top of all of that, today they were out of uniform and wearing green for St. Patrick's day. We also got snow last night and Friday starts our spring break. That's a lot of out of the ordinary things for Kindergarteners.
    I get suspicious of rooms where kids are completely silent too. I understand it during work times or tests, but all the time is too extreme.

6. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2008

When they're coming in as a group, I let low chatter once we enter the classroom (they need to let it out, I've been trying to keep them silent the whole time in the hall!) but when an individual student or small group comes in (late or returning from pullout) the procedure (which is not always followed, but we're getting there... :rolleyes:) is to go straight to your desk silently, and raise your hand for my attention only if there's a message or request (e.g. "The OT wants Nick" gets a hand-raise, "I'm back!" gets ignored)

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008

My classroom is hardly ever silent. But I do have a rule that when entering the room, you come in quietly and sit down to wait for instructions. I say they can chit-chat quietly once they have sat down while they wait for me (sometimes I am getting papers, a book or the portable white board out.) If they are not quiet, we get up and do it again, even at this time of year.

I actually think it's a good rule because one good thing to learn is to enter ANY room and assess what's happening quietly before talking. I never learned this until I was a teenager and ended up walking in on people all the time when I shouldn't have (a whole different story- actually many stories.)

This is a tangent, but sort of along the same lines:
    We don't have indoor hallways and my kids are noisy when we walk in line to the other buildings. I have not minded this about my school, but now that I moved classrooms and am next to a special teacher I really want to talk to teachers about this. It seems like we are always reading or doing writer's workshop (my most silent activities in class) and another class will be outside hollering, screeching and talking while waiting to go to their special. I have had to go out SO many times! Today I think I will put up a sign that says "STOP and wait QUIETLY before going to your class!"

8. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Mar 18, 2008

My 1st graders come into the room and are chatty. We have breakfast in class, so this makes them even more talkative. I don't mind.
    They are happy to be there and I'm happy that they are in class. I wander the room and talk with the kids. They want to know what we are doing today. However, they know that when I ring my bell, it's time for silence.

9. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Mar 18, 2008

I don't mind a little chatter, but a loud roar is too much. I've had previous problems with a certain class because it takes too long to get them calm so I require that specific class to come in completely silent.

10. susimar

susimar Rookie

Mar 18, 2008

ITA!! Is this AP new to administration? Did she/he ever teach?

11. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Mar 18, 2008

Bored,
    When I have students coming back from pull-outs, I also require them to enter silently and go straight to their seat or to where ever we are at the moment(in small groups, etc). If they come in loud then, I make them leave and come back in quietly. They may not shout "I'm back" or draw attention to themselves by they way they enter the room at that point.

Miss. Froggy,
    I agree with you. I think students should learn to walk into a room and quietly assess what's happening before they act. In reality, my students are generally never loud when they enter the room anyway. The majority of them go in with minimal talking. It's just the 2 or 3 that still can't figure out how to act when they enter a room that cause the problem. My one no volume child and a couple that feed off of that and have their own issues. Overall, until the AP complained, I never saw a problem with they way they came in, except for the couple that I constantly address. I don't like having students obnoxiously loud either, so I've addressed that every time it happens. I'm okay with quiet chatter until I ask for complete silence though.
    I really don't like it when other classes walk by our room loudly(or with the trashcans after lunch). I can see your frustration there.

Dave and CmCd,
    I agree with both of you!

Susimar,
    I don't think our AP is new to admin, and I know she taught. I think she even taught kindergarten but I'm not certain about that. She is older generation though so I think that her memories of teaching involve students sitting in straight rows not making a peep.
    I think she has a hard time adjusting to the new teaching styles and differentiation in instruction and other educational/behavioral needs. She gets so hung up on nitpicky things like how she feels a student should be sitting in a chair. Like I said, chairs are the least of my worries as far as my battles go. I have bigger fish to fry.
    Did I answer everybody? I hope so. :) Thanks for your input and advice!

12. susimar

susimar Rookie

Mar 19, 2008

Like I said, chairs are the least of my worries as far as my battles go. I have bigger fish to fry.

AMEN! LOL