Coming in mid-year. So nervous!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by RedStripey, Feb 8, 2015.

1. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Feb 8, 2015

Hi! I just found out that I will be covering a maternity leave in second grade from March until the end of the school year. I will be the third teacher that this class will have.

I'm so excited but so nervous about behavior. This is my first real teaching position and classroom management is something I do need to work on. Does anyone have any advice on classroom management strategies for a teacher coming in mid-year?

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 8, 2015

I started midyear (April) and it was hard. Now that I look back, 2 years later, I can't believe how far I've come.

I don't know if I have good advice, just that expect it to be tough and be prepared, but know that next year will be easier.
    Take a look at everything the teacher has in place and try to follow that to the best of your knowledge. If something is not working, you can change it, since she's not coming back this year at all.

What grade is this?

4. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Feb 8, 2015

Thanks! That actually was helpful and a good point that I can change things that aren't working for me. It will be in second grade.

I'm so terrified because it's my first teaching position and it's an hour from where I live (but don't want to move anywhere since it's just for four months). But I need to take it in order to build up my experience. :)

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2015

In NJ, an hour commute is very common, and that from a teacher who has worked with some who have commuted even farther, year after year, and just consider it the norm. Good luck!

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 8, 2015

It is often said that to teach you need to control the classroom. To control the classroom, you need the students' respect (why would they listen to you if they don't respect you?) and to have their respect, you must have a relationship with them (why should they respect you if you don't even know each other?)

It's hard to develop relationships with students so quickly, but maybe do something every day that will promote a good rapport with individual students, and will result in a good class climate.
    Do you have any ideas in mind?
    I just posted about an assignment I did on Friday (post: getting to know your students), maybe you could do something like that, it could be altered for 2nd grade)

7. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Feb 8, 2015

You're absolutely right about commute times here. I currently work in Northeastern NJ and my commute is 40 minutes. Some of my coworkers are from Western NJ/PA :eek: And thank you!

8. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Feb 8, 2015

I'll check it out! Thank you. :love:

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2015

Congrats, Red!
    Since you're the third teacher they've had chances are the expectations/mgt strategies have changed a few times. Take some time to see what works and what doesn't. Maybe have a class meeting and see what the kids have to say about rules, procedures and classroom climate. Tweak where you need to, tighten up areas that are just not working. Overall, create a climate where kids feel capable, connected and contributing!
    Grade 2 is awesome...enjoy!

10. MissMae

MissMae Rookie

Mar 7, 2015

I was in your shoes. Not as late as March, but still their third teacher they had. I started out going over MY expectations and doing LOTS of community builders. Even with all that it was very tough. So, my second step was to reach out to the parents of the kids that were "testing" me, and that helped A LOT. (As in, I have parents numbers in my personal cell phone to call/text whenever needed) Build relationships with the ones who will give you are hard time, they are usually the ones missing their old teacher the most. Always follow through with expectations, and give lots of positive rewards. It will not be easy, but consider it Managing Student Behavior bootcamp.