Coming In Late to the Game

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Kmt197487, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Kmt197487

Kmt197487 New Member

Nov 14, 2014

Hello everyone. I was recently hired and will begin my assignment at the beginning of December. I'm a first year teacher coming in late to the game. I am overjoyed to be able to take advantage of this opportunity, but nervous and a little unsure where to begin. I will be teaching 9th and 10th grade social studies. Any advice is very much appreciated. :thanks:

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 14, 2014

Get your head around:
    - state standards
    - classroom procedures - bell work, submitting assignments, seating arrangements, etc.
    - engaged and busy students cause fewer issues than students with nothing to learn, nothing to do - plan lessons that you think are too long for the class period until you know how your students work
    - find a mentor
    - review the faculty and student handbook
    - make a list of unanswered questions after reading the handbooks (e.g. copy limits? printing limits? scheduling a sub?)

GOOD LUCK! I'm sure others here will add to the list above.

High school students are FUN!

4. Kmt197487

Kmt197487 New Member

Nov 14, 2014

Thank you so very much!! I looked at the TEKS tonight and plan on looking to the other things you mentioned tomorrow. I hadn't thought of the planning to be too long just in case.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 14, 2014

The new teachers I've seen who struggle all had 1 thing in common: too much down time in their classes. Working bell-to-bell is a meaningful way to limit student disruptions.

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 15, 2014

New teachers also seem to want their students to like them. Get rid of that idea from the start. Change it so that you want them to learn and feel safe in your room. The liking may or may not come the first year. But the respect will.

that being said, if your students can handle it, introduce a fun/silly activity once in a while. Maybe every other week.

Teens are awesome. I love working with them!

7. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Nov 17, 2014

I will suggest two books for you to read...
    "The First Days of School" by Harry and Rosemary Wong
    and
    "Tools for Teaching" by Fred Jones.
    Both give concrete ideas as to how to set up and run your classroom, with great discussions on discipline.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 17, 2014

I agree with the Wong recommendation. Even though the text is geared towards elementary, I use a lot of those techniques with my students. For instance, my students ALWAYS know what to do upon entering my classroom. (It is displayed via PowerPoint - 1 slide for each section). That's something I stole from Wong.