Coming in late for tests

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Mathman82, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Mathman82

Mathman82 Rookie

Nov 8, 2014

Hello fellow teachers,

I teach two hour block math and several students are always late. Our school starts at 7:55am. I have tried parent intervention but they still come in late. When it is test day, the late students usually do not finish. My plan is to start spitting the test up over two days. Give one part one day and the other the second day. There is really no district or school policy about splitting tests but wanted to hear thoughts or comments about teachers giving tests 1st and 2nd periods when students are late. By the way, it's a title 1 school I teach at.

Thanks and hope everyone is enjoying your Saturday night. :cool:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2014

How many students are coming in late that you need to change your entire testing procedure?

Are you regularly giving two-hour tests?

4. Mathman82

Mathman82 Rookie

Nov 8, 2014

I have 30 students and about 5 are late on a regular basis. And yes, the test are always suppose to take two hours.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2014

Who decided that the tests should take two hours? Is that an administrative decision?

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 9, 2014

Unexcused tardies and absences mean zeros for work missed in my district. Officially. But that isn't always done, of course.

These students would have less time to finish their tests in my room. If the test isn't important enough for them to get to on time, then it shouldn't matter to them if they miss some of the questions. Absolutely no extensions.

Now, if this wouldn't fly in your school I would make up a separate makeup test for these students. Makeup tests do not have to be the same format, they just have to cover the same goals. Maybe a multi-step question that would include several of the more simple ones? In my class makeup tests are almost always short answer and essay questions.

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2014

I would also suggest that 2 hours is too long for unit tests. That is a grueling amount of time to spend unless, of course, there is a performance task of project aspect involved.

I would suggest shorter tests with 15 minutes of review time at the start of a block class.

8. Mathman82

Mathman82 Rookie

Nov 13, 2014

They are long tests, since this is an advanced math class. I know it's rare in high school to have tests this long but that's how it is.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 13, 2014

Advanced math = advanced responsibilities. GET IN THE ROOM ON TIME. Doc them 10pts for being late the first time, -20 the second time and a big fat ZERO on the third.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2014

My question was about who determined that this is "how it is". If it is an administrative decision, then your hands are tied. If it is your decision, then you have some power to change things. I find the idea of regular two-hour math tests upsetting. It seems like a great way to destroy your students with frequent brain-busting tests. Why can't the tests be shortened or split into different parts?

I took many advanced classes in high school, including math. "Advanced" doesn't mean "longer".

11. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Nov 14, 2014

Unexcused tardies mean they only get as much time as is left in the class period...

if they have a valid excuse, they can finish either at lunch or after school, only getting as much time as they missed in the period.

12. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 14, 2014

Students who are habitually late are showing disrespect, and deserve no additional time. Give them the test and when time is up for those with the cajones to show up on time, take up ALL the tests and let the boo-hooing begin. And when it does, pay no attention to it. If your principal is a good one, he/she will support you. If your principal is a patsy and supports the late students or their whiny parents, look elsewhere for a job, because it won't get any better where you are. Do I sound harsh? No, I am being honest. Habitually late people are one of my pettest of pet peeves. Rude, childish, and selfish.

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 14, 2014

I had a huge problem with my advanced class making it to class on time last year. These are kids that care about their grades, think they know everything already, expect teachers to cater to their every desire and have more than enough money to walk to the nearest Starbucks and casually sip their lattes before class. I typically have bellwork out for students to do as they enter, lecture for a bit and on quiz days give students a few minutes to look over their notes before the quiz.

I started giving the quizzes as soon as the bell rang. Even started projecting the questions on the board so I didn't have to take time to pass them out. After 3/4 minutes, whatever was a reasonable amount of time for that particular quiz, I'd shut off the projector and take up the answers. Students that came in late would sometimes miss the entire quiz. Sometimes they'd only get one question answered.

I did this twice and had maybe three tardies for the rest of the semester.

14. Mathman82

Mathman82 Rookie

Nov 15, 2014

Some very good ideas fellow teachers! Thanks for the support! I will start giving quizzes every day first part as well. That will make them want to be there! It's so nice to have a place for support and to vent.