Coming here to ask a quick question about student pick-up at dismissal

Discussion in 'High School' started by thesub, Oct 9, 2012.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Oct 9, 2012

Hi everyone: I hang out at the substitute forum on this board. My problem has not happened but I am starting to worry about it already and was wondering if you could tell me what happens at your schools.

My daughter will start high school next year where I have to drop her and pick her up since we are too close to the HS. I love subbing, esp at the elementary level where dismissal is one hour later than HS. If a student cannot be picked up by a parent on time, can they stay back late? I know HS has some clubs and my daughter will probably join one or two but even then she will not catch the late bus because of parent pick-up.

What happens to those students whose parents work f/t and cannot pick them up? Can they stay back in the library or cafetaria and do their homework?

My neighbors are not friendly and I doubt anyone will agree to carpool regularly.

Thank you so much for any ideas or telling me what happens in your schools.

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 9, 2012

That was my problem in the beginning (last year). My daughter's school was out at 1:30, the earliest I got home was 3:15, if I left right away.
    They had a lot of clubs, she could also stay at the library. They can also stay there outside, i often see students sitting around on the grass, doing their homework. It's not like in middle school, where every one had to be gine by a certain time. She ended up taking the regular bus, I got her a pass, the bus stopped on our corner and at school so it's working out great.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 9, 2012

My high school (that I attended) was open in the afternoons in the library and lots of kids hung around outside on benches and read or did homework. Most people were able to find friends or parents of friends who would drive them home or go to their house after school until parents were off of work.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2012

In my school, the library is open until 5:30.

The cafeteria sells food until 5:15, and is open indefinitely.

There are ALWAYS games going on in the gym and/or on one of the fields. Fans are greatly appreciated.

Lots and lots and lots of kids hang around until the 5:30 late busses show up.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2012

Every school is different. Our school library is open only for about 30 minutes after school. There are many clubs and sports on campus, though, so there's always someplace for students to go hang out until the late buses or their rides arrive.

7. thesub

thesub Comrade

Oct 9, 2012

Thank you all

I called up the HS yesterday and they said the library closes 30 mins after school. Sometimes when I drive past the HS at 3 pm, it looks deserted. So the library option goes out the window.

The strange thing is my daughter's friend lives less than 1/2 mile from the HS and gets the school bus and there are no crossings or dangerous intersections etc. Can I petition the transportation dept. to put my kid on the bus and charge me for it???

Thank you all for replying.
    thesub

8. thesub

thesub Comrade

Oct 9, 2012

Linguist92021, I wish we had a bus service too.
    We live in a boring suburb where the cars just zoom past..ugh..

9. thesub

thesub Comrade

Oct 9, 2012

Aliceaccm: OMG, you have such a nice HS!!! I am jealous!!!

10. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Oct 10, 2012

My high schooler walks home from school, in all kinds of weather, every day of the school year. But he's happy, because the middle school was even farther from the house.

Can she walk? Is it too far or dangerous?

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2012

Both of mine did as well. The only time either ever got a drive was when they needed to be at school extra early or stayed late because of sports or music practices and those times worked with my schedule.

12. thesub

thesub Comrade

Oct 10, 2012

It is a good 25 min walk, so not sure if she can walk

with a heavy backpack. Definitely not in bad weather.
    Thank you both.
    thesub

13. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Oct 10, 2012

You are much nicer than I am. :lol: Our middle school is about a 25-minute walk, also, with backpack and saxaphone. He walked it every day even through the winter and 15 degree temperatures. At least the high school is closer.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2012

Nicer than I am as well :lol:! 25 minutes is a pretty typical walk to high school here. Umbrella for rain, warm jacket, etc. for winter, and my kids were all set.

15. paperlabs

paperlabs Rookie

Oct 27, 2012

I have seen schools that only bus students if they live a certain distance away. It seems like that is the only consideration. In one school students going in one direction had to cross two very busy streets, but students going in the other direction had nice peaceful walks for long distances. It seems unbelievable the amount of thought that goes into these kinds of things.

16. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2012

You can definitely call the school and ask about being added to a bus route. I know that my high school district has made exceptions for students close to the edge of walking distance (extra fee added though).

If there anywhere close to the high school that she could walk to? I know my high school had a few restaurants and the public library was very close.

17. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Oct 27, 2012

You mentioned that your child will be starting high school, so I would suggest putting some of the responsibility on her; you can't get there right after school, so it seems that she has a few options to choose from. She can get involved in a club or sports that meet after school, she can walk home, or she can find a place where she can wait for you. What does she prefer?

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 27, 2012

Most of our kids who can't be picked up after school either walk, ride the bus, or just join clubs. When there aren't club meetings, they walk to a nearby book store or coffee shop.

19. thesub

thesub Comrade

Oct 27, 2012

Thank you all....the best option for us

would be to add my daughter to an existing bus route for a fee and she can walk home from there. We still have a few more months for all this drama to kick in:D:D:D:D

thesub

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 27, 2012

DS is a Junior. This is the 1st year that they have offered busing for the high schoolers. It was something that was eleminated for about 3 years. We've continued taking him. In the afternoons he walks home. It's about a 25-30min. walk. When it's really cold, he tries to find a ride. A neighbor has seen him walking & picked him up a couple of times, nothing regular. During track season, I sometimes pick him up from practice.

He had knee surgery a 1 1/2 weeks ago. He waited at school until his sister could get from her college class to pick him up.

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 27, 2012

Can she go home with a friend who takes the bus and then you pick her up at the friend's house?