Comfort level working in Christian school...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teacherella, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jun 2, 2008

As you've probably read in my previous posts, I'm interviewing at a few private schools. There are two in particular that seem to be very interested in me and I'm anticipating a possible offer. Aside from the low salary, I'm concerned about my comfort level teaching religion. I'm Catholic, but I'm more private about it. I'm not vocal about it and although I went to CCD as a child, I don't remember everything about Catholicism. I know I could teach religion (given the right resources), but a part of me is uncomfortable because I'm not the best Catholic that I could be (ex: going to church every Sunday like I should and reading the bible).

Do you think my comfort level will change with time if I work at a Christian school?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2008

Possibly.

Is this a Catholic school or a "Christian" school? I know that Catholic = Christian, but not all Christian = Catholic. In my limited experience, the two types of schools are pretty different.

I was offered a position in a Christian school. Ultimately, I chose to decline the offer because I wasn't comfortable with signing the Profession of Faith statement that they required. This was partly because I'm a (lapsed) Catholic and not of their particular denomination, but also because I feel like it's not anyone's business what I believe in.

It wasn't the right setting for me, but it might be for you. You probably have some sort of gut feeling one way or the other, yes?

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2008

Personally, I don't think your comfort level will change all that much. On the otherhand, I wouldn't worry about not being the best Catholic in the world either. I think if you can model appropriate behavior in the classroom-not just religious aspects that means something too. No one is perfect and admitting that you know you can be a better person is a lot more than most people would dare admit, so I'd say... take the opportunity. If nothing else, you can do it for a year and gain experience.

5. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jun 3, 2008

It's a Christian school - not Catholic. I'm not sure what my gut is telling me. I can't decide if it's just being nervous because it's something new/out of my comfort zone or if it's because it's just not a right fit for me. I just can't get past the low salary so that's another huge factor on my mind right now. I'm sure I'll be posting about this much more as time goes on (and I get offers maybe). Thanks.

6. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Jun 3, 2008

Most Christian schools (I don't know anything about catholic schools sorry), will have you sign a statement of faith. Most christian schools (not all) have the school as part of their church ministry and they want teachers and workers that are going to be in agreement with the church doctrine. They don't (or shouldn't) expect you to be a perfect person...but they will want you to abide by their rules/standards for teachers.

Some christian schools are run independently of one church. Sometimes it is a co-op of churches that run the school. They are sometimes multi or non denominational which you may be more comfortable with, I don't know.

Have you also looked into private (non-religious) schools?