Come to Central Florida

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by swansong1, Nov 2, 2013.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2013

I've been told by my P that the job applicant pool around here is very weak. That's why there are so many open positions around here. If you can possibly move, you can get a job.

3. heatherewf

heatherewf Rookie

Nov 2, 2013

What cities/districts? My parents want to retire to Florida in a few years and I think my husband and kids and I will move with them, so I'd like to keep track of good districts to work for when the time comes to job hunt down there.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2013

Florida districts are based on counties. In central Fl Osceola pays the best and seems to be quite employee friendly. Orange is the largest district and is mostly urban. Polk is more rural. Seminole has a diverse population but has had some problems lately. They have recently announced more growth and hiring in the future.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2013

I would LOVE to. Central Florida contains 3 of my most favorite things-- sun, heat, and Disney World.

But my family is here. So Long Island is my home.

Though this has me wishing we could be snowbirds: "From The News 12 Weather Center.....The National Weather Service has issued a FREEZE WARNING (OVERNIGHT TONIGHT) for NE SUFFOLK, NORTHERN NASSAU, NW SUFFOLK, SE SUFFOLK, SOUTHERN NASSAU and SW SUFFOLK, effective through MON at 9:00 AM......Stay tuned right here for up-to-the-minute Long Island weather information....

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 3, 2013

To be honest - Polk, Seminole, and Osceola seem to have the BEST reputation state-wide :)

7. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Nov 3, 2013

I am weighing my options for next year.

I'm young, single, and my parents (only close family I have) are approaching their golden years and looking south.

My top states for consideration are: Nevada (specifically Clark County) and Florida.

I'm nervous about earning my Master's in Sp. Ed. though...still being considered for positions with it. Sadly, my school is changing their program so if I don't finish it this summer I have to take a ton more classes, something I'm not willing to do.

On the other hand NV and FL seem to have quick tenure processes...which would make me feel calm claiming the degree if I prove worthy so I don't have to hide my degree/risk applying for jobs with it.

Central Florida, does this cover the Golf and Atlantic side? Or is it inland and away from the ocean? Also, I've read on here that getting a teaching job in Florida is tough? So Central Florida is an exception?

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2013

Pete, there's no tenure in Florida anymore. Anyone who didn't already have tenure by June 2011 can no longer get tenure.

Central FL includes (roughly, sometimes, occasionally, depending on who you're talking to) Brevard, Volusia, Flagler, Marion, Lake, Sumter, Seminole, Orange, Levy, Citrus, Hernando, Pasco, Pinellas, Hillsboro, Polk, Osceola, and Indian River. Only Brevard, Volusia, Flagler, and Indian River have Atlantic coastline. Levy, Citrus, Hernando, Pasco, Pinellas, and Hillsboro have Gulf coastlines. The rest are landlocked.

Florida is like anywhere else. Some places - like the county where I live - are nearly impossible to get a job. Others - like the county where I work - can't seem to keep people and are constantly hiring.

(I'm in South Florida, haven't actually worked in any of the central counties).

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 4, 2013

Really??? My last year as a special ed teacher, I got three kids from three different schools in Seminole County, Florida. All three files were utter train wrecks, and the IEPs were horribly written and inaccurate. I just assumed that Seminole County was a bad district.

10. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Nov 7, 2013

Sounds good.... I don't see myself moving because of my wife's family. My family is all in England so I would gladly move to Florida.... just need a basketball coaching job to go with the teaching job :)

11. jenud97

jenud97 Rookie

Nov 10, 2013

Coaching is such a plus down here if you have that one your resume. I work for Pasco and my husband is a teacher with Hillsborough. We have no complaints with either. Money is not great but our cost of living is ok as long as you don't live in a flood zone. I have the bext commute - two minutes literally one way to drop of my girls at their school and two minutes the other way to get to my school. :)

12. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Mar 27, 2014

I teach in Hillsborough county and there is always room for teachers and I'm sure you could become a coach somewhere.

13. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Mar 30, 2014

If so, there is a good reason why. Florida is a total hole for teachers. They have had their rights stripped to where they have NONE now. I have heard that if teachers have two bad reviews in a row, and remember, these evaluations are highly subjective including those relying heavily on test scores, they can literally have their licenses revoked. In turn that would destroy your career in public education in any part of the United States.

Same is true for North Carolina teachers.

People need to read the news to know what is going on in education. You don't want to wind up moving and then having your career ruined because of terrible administrators and a hostile environment for teachers.

14. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Mar 30, 2014

As I recall, Florida has ditched "tenure," which doesn't really exist for teachers anyway. Nevada now requires all teachers, without exception, to be on probation for three years.

Not worth it.