Come see my writing workshop pics!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by RitaFirstGrade, Apr 28, 2006.

1. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Apr 28, 2006

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 29, 2006

Thanks RFG. This looks great!!

4. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Apr 29, 2006

Wow!

Fabulous! This gives me some ideas for next year! I've been doing Writer's Workshop this year, but want to add to it/bump it up to the next level next year. :thanks:
    Thanks for posting your website!

5. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Apr 29, 2006

Very Cool! Thank you very much for that site--the information and pictures are wonderful!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 29, 2006

What a wonderful site. You must be very proud! I am going to show this to folks at school who need to see it.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 29, 2006

Wow! I'm really impressed. I have wanted to get a writer's workshop going in my 5th grade classroom, but I don't have any idea where to begin, how to manage it, etc. I am clueless. Any ideas about how to adapt this to a 5th grade level? Any help would be appriciated.:) :thanks:

8. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Apr 29, 2006

Wow, that is a wonderful resource, thanks! Off topic, but what is the policy of putting students' pictures on the internet? I'd like to do a class page, but was wondering if you ever had parents who had a problem with their kids' pictures being posted.

Just wanted to add...your word wall is fantastic!

9. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 29, 2006

I like your pocket chart to help you keep up with who is where! I was going to make some kind of poster but I think I may just steal the pocket chart idea :)

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 29, 2006

There's a pocket chart by carson dellosa that is just for writing workshop. I ordered it at school for next year. If I don't get it from school, I'm going to get it myself. It's only about $24.

11. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 29, 2006

cool-i'll have to look into this

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2006

14. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 29, 2006

15. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Apr 29, 2006

Rita that is great. I have been trying to find a way to organize a writer's workshop so I think I'll use some of your ideas. I noticed in one of your pictures in Phase 2, the very first picture, the girls had white tubes of some sort on their desks. What are they for? Just curious.

16. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Apr 29, 2006

I just started posting kids pictures on the internet and I have to follow some pretty strong guidelines. I first had to send a letter to all the parents giving them the opportunity to deny permission. I did have 3 parents that said no way, that I was not to put their child's picture on the internet.

If I post pictures there must be at least 3 kids in the picture and I can only use their first names.

17. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 30, 2006

I love your website!! Your room is beautiful and I got some great ideas for writer's workshop.

I'm moving to first grade next year and thinking about starting writer's workshop. I do it in second grade, but I started midyear so it's taking a lot of time to get them into the routine. I'm also very to writer's workshop so I'm figuring it out for myself.

I have a few questions... When do you start introducing it to first graders? Also, how do you assess their work?

18. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 30, 2006

I start my ww during the first week of school-sooner the better :)

19. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 30, 2006

I figure it's good to start early. Starting midyear is not enough time.

Buttt how do you start with first graders when many of them come in not even knowing how to read or write?

20. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Apr 30, 2006

Awesome work, Mrs. Wright!

I started writing with my kindergartners on the very first day of school. There is an excellent book called Teaching the Youngest Writers by Maria S. Freeman. It has some great ideas for teaching kids from Day 1 - and supporting all levels whether they are still in the picture/letter stage or are already writing sentences.

Our writing time was not as complex as Mrs. Wright's writing workshop, but that was because I hadn't figured out a routine. Even K students could work through the brainstorming/revising/editing/publishing process. :) Our writing time consisted of a mini-lesson followed by the kids verbally sharing with me or a partner what they would write about. They then had ample time to write and we would end with 4-5 children sharing what they had written. I would use some of the examples that were shared to point out things we learned in the mini-lesson. They kept a folder with their writing so they could add to prior days' work or compile past ideas into a book, etc.

21. teachurite

teachurite Rookie

Apr 30, 2006

What a wonderful writers workshop you have developed! I LOVE the completed student stories! Way to go!!!

22. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

May 1, 2006

I didn't see any typos! :) Wow, your room looks great! It is jam packed with wonderful learning areas but doesn't look cluttered. That's a balance I'd love to find someday in my classroom. I teach 4th grade and its been tough trying to fit in centers and such.

Thanks for the invite! Lovely website. :)

23. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

May 1, 2006

I teach 4th grade & I have been teaching with Writer's Workshop for a few years now. I only had 50 minutes this year so it kinda took a backseat for a bit but I'm trying to work it all out.

I have a bulletin board with the labels of each step (pre-writing, drafting, revising, editing, conferencing, final draft, etc) & the students have pencils with their #'s on it. Since the material covering the bulletin board is felt, I put sticky velcro on the back of each pencil. They can easily move their pencils from step to step. My students have a rule of 2 buddy edits per writing piece. I did notice many were not editing correctly so I did a mini lesson on how to edit & how to revise & the difference between the 2. Now I am hearing great things from their conferences!

To keep everything organized each student has a 3 ring binder & dividers for: Log, Notes, Checklists, Ideas, In Progress Pieces, Finished Pieces, Required Pieces (assigned by me), and Abandoned Work. Oh, there's a Spelling Dictionary section too. I have a spread sheet with their names going down the left & I write in the dates across the top. Every once in awhile I'll do a "quick status of the class". I'll simply ask them what they are going to work on that day & make a little note in the box. I use this to help me keep track of students who are taking too much time on their pieces.

I am still working on the conferencing bit. It is hard to reach everyone in the week.Plus, writing is my weakness & I feel stuck on how to help them with their papers. I made it a small personal goal to conference more often & I have acheived that goal. Still I would like to see everyone each week. We'll see how the rest of the year goes. :)

24. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 1, 2006

Oh I love the felt bulletin board/velcro idea!!! Now you've got me thinking... :) It's just might be hard to find space. If I put it on a magnetic board how neat would that be?!!! And put magnetic tape on the back of the pencils. Or even on the side of a cabinet. I already have the labels for the writing process and I refer to it often but it would be so cool to make it functional. Oh man... I seriously cannot wait until next year!!! Haha.

25. bamateach1

bamateach1 Rookie

May 1, 2006

Great web site. I am planning for next year's ww and this will be a great help. I will visit your site again.
    :thanks:

26. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

May 2, 2006

Thanks, everyone! I'll try to answer questions!

In regards to the white tubes, those are "fluency phones" made out of pvs pipe. The kids read into them and they can hear themselves. You can but them comercially made, but they are easy to make. I just had a Home Depot worker cut pipe into pieces and then I put an elbow piece on each end.

I start Authors' workshop with my kids after Christmas. We are writing since the first day though. Septemeber - December we write class books, so everyone is writing about the same topic. We go through the writing process with many of these pieces though. This prepares them for authors' workshop later.

I send a letter at the beginning of the year asking for permission to post student pictures. This year everybody signed it and said yes! I was so excited! :)