Come on English teachers/ high school

Discussion in 'High School' started by inlovewithwords, Jul 19, 2007.

1. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Jul 19, 2007

Okay, so I feel like this forum is here for a reason. We need to help each other out in order to make our lives a little easier.
    Sometimes it is really hard to motivate our students so... Please post any cool lesson you have that teaches literature in a unique way. I'll post mine:) :)

3. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Jul 19, 2007

I found this one somewhere on the internet but I combined it with other things. This lesson is for descriptive language.

First, place students in groups of 4. Give each group a lemon (around Halloween you can give them mini pumpkins, but it could be anything). Tell them that it is their job to describe the lemon in 4 sentences in the best detail possible. You could even give a scenario, that explains that it is going to be among hundreds of lemons and they need to make sure that it can be identified.

After the students makke their paragraph, collect the lemons and place them in a row on a table in front of the room. Then switch around the papers and give each group a new paragraph. They must read the paragraph and try to find the lemon described in the front of the room.

Separately, give students an example of what descriptive language looks like. I use this paragraph that I use from one of my old college texts:
    Sitting here in Harold's Hefty Burgers at midnight, I am convinced that I am eating the ultimate form of food. The buns are feathery soft to the touch but heavy in the hand and soggy inside. As I take a full-mouth, no-nonsense bite, the melted cheese and juices cascade over my fingers and make little oil slicks on the vinyl table below. I vhew noisily and happily like a puppy at a food bowl, stopping occasionally to flush down the rich thick taste of spicy animal fat with a swig from a chilled mug of fizzing root beet that prickles my nose. Over at the grill, the smell of frying onions creeps away stealthily on invisible feet to conquer the neighborhood, turning hundreds of ordinary citizens like me into drooling, stomach growling, fast-food addicts, who trudge in from the night like the walking dead and call out the same order, time after time. "Hefty Burger." "Hefty Burger." "Hefty Burger."

I then have students identify words from the paragraph that can go into each of these categories: sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch.

4. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 19, 2007

Try Reader's Theatre. Just google those words and you'll find tons of stuff and ideas. Sorry, I don't have any files to share right now. I'm using a student laptop for the summer until mine is repaired.
    If you want a cool poetry activity you might try a poetry tournament. I found the idea on another website last year and my 7th graders loved it! Sorry, again, I don't remember where, but if you are interested let me know and I'll post the low down on it.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 19, 2007

I'm sure we all have tons of lessons and information, but it would probably be easier if you asked for something specific that you were looking for!

6. ptlanguage

ptlanguage Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

kyblue07: Please give us the site for the poetry tournament. That sounds interesting.

7. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 19, 2007

http://www.ncte.org/elem/topics/content/110011.htm

This isn't the original site where I found it, but it will give you an idea what it is. Being from Kentucky, college basketball and March Madness are particularly a 'big thing', but it could be done anytime during the year or in regard to another sport playoff. I did mine a little early because students need to get poems finished for possible inclusion in our 7th grade state portfolios. I found that starting with 64 poems was way too long so I started with 32 poems. The students looked forward to reading and talking about the poetry match-ups. After open discussion and analysis (I really saw them grow as poets and writers!!) each class voted on their favorite. Students would know which poem won in their class, but not for the whole grade so it became a big thing to find out the next day at school which poem had moved on to the next bracket. Last year, Maya Angelou's "Still I Rise" was our grand champion. I chose the poems that went on the brackets just to make sure the students were exposed to a variety of forms, themes, and authors.

Hope this helps! If you need more info, let me know. Happy to help!