Combo classes; what can you tell me about them?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Jul 2, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2010

I will be doing a combo class in the fall. Probably 4/5, maybe 7/8. Has anyone had experience managing a combo class? Or do you know where I could access some information about teaching combo classes?

Any comments would be helpful right now. Thanks.

3. glen

glen Companion

Jul 2, 2010

I'm doing a 7/8 combo next year. This will be new for my school. I'll be interested in hearing about others' experiences and viewing resources, too!

4. wrice

wrice Habitué

Jul 3, 2010

My former school had combo classes for the younger grades, but they have dissolved that and gone back to single grades. I remember there being some times for full class instruction, times for grade group instruction, and some peer pairing instruction. I think the biggest challenges were accommodating different content concentrations between the grades for standardized testing, and setting behavioral expectations applicable to the whole range of students (bigger deal in k/1 than 7/8 though!)

Hope someone with first hand experience will chime in! Good luck!

5. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 3, 2010

I student taught in a 5th/6th combo. We split up for some things and other things we did together. We also had split 7th/8th in a small Christian school where I taught. They would alternate the books for SS and Sci. One year they used the 8th grade book and then the next year, they would do the 7th grade.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2010

I teach several grade levels together and have done so for years. Today I planned my science units for the year. I looked at all the standards and benchmarks for each grade level (next year it will be 2nd-5th). Then I chose the ones that the majority of the grade levels share. Those I will differentiate and teach first. Then, I will supplement with individual standards that weren't shared with as many grade levels. Does that make sense? Reading is done whole group for focus mini lessons and then the students are grouped by ability level for groups. They also do seatwork based on their abilities. Math is done the same way. I teach writing whole group for mini lessons and then they all work on the skills as they are able.