combo class woes

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mina, Jun 22, 2014.

1. mina

mina New Member

Jun 22, 2014

I would like input about teaching a combo class 1-2. I have to
    learn a whole new math and ELA program our district adopted
    for this year. It just seems impossible to teach 2 grades with so much new material. I sent my P an e-mail letting her know
    how I felt, that I did not feel this was the best situation for students.
    She sent back a message that she would help me get through it.
    I'm not a happy camper. Any advise?

3. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2014

1/2 is better than k/1 I think. If she will help you, then take as much help as you can get. It can be done, but it's not easy. Know your standards for both grades. Merge them. Break everything down.

Is anyone else doing combo at your school? Or has anyone done a combo in the school that could help you?

Best advice; think positive and do it as best you can. You will be rewarded later. But try not to complain. Admins don't care for that much. Or your other teachers.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2014

I did a K-5 combo for 5 years. It turned into an ability based combo. I chose standards that could be shared by grade levels and then just differentiated for difficulty. I loved those years!

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 22, 2014

Last year, we had a combo class (K/1).

Trust me--your administrators don't like combo classes, either! However, it all depends on numbers. The combo class was pretty equal: 12 Ks and 12 firsties. We made sure to "stack" the class with very high and independent kindergarteners. In the afternoon, the 12 first graders left the classroom and were dispersed amongst the other 5 first grade classes for math. That way, the K/1 combo teacher only had to worry about her kindergarteners in the afternoon.

Do you know how many students you'll have in each grade-level? If so, is there a chance one of the grade-level teams would be willing to take your kids for a certain subject?