Combating flu season next year

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by John Lee, Jan 19, 2013.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 19, 2013

So basically for the past many years, I've gotten sick once or twice a year. I've come to look at it as a casualty of working with children. But this year, I've gotten sick a second time, and it has gotten me thinking about ways to actually combat it next year.

One of the ways I'm considering is to start eating/drinking more greens. I've been reading about things like kale shakes--great for long-term health obviously. But also your energy. Anyone juice here? Will it substantially help my immune system? With something like a kale shake, I know it doesn't taste good. But I'm willing to do it (because it is very healthy overall), if it will help me not get sick! If it won't, I probably wouldn't subscribe to a long-term plan of doing it. ;)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2013

Washing hands frequently does so much in terms of warding off colds. I eat a lot of veg as a vegetarian, but I also get a flu shot, stay hydrated, wash hands, maintain my own Kleenex box and supplies untouched by students. I take vitamins and exercise. I take at the most two sick days a year.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2013

The flu is serious business. I'm not sure that juice is going to prevent it.

I'll be getting a flu shot for sure.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 19, 2013

I read somewhere (not sure how valid it is) that onions absorb bacteria. So much that you shouldn't leave them out and eat them later, they should be consumed right away.
    But this is good when getting sick. Leave an onion out (cut open) and it will absorb all bacteria.
    According to the website it says doctors have found bacteria virus in the onion after it was left in a hospital room, it has helped people not get sick or heal, and that certain regions have been using this for a long time.

I haven't looked into his as to see how valid it is, but I'm definitely going to try it out. After all, all I have to lose is an onion :)

As far as staying away from the flu, obviously you must have a strong immune system (healthy diet, exercise, control / avoid stress, lots of water, etc) but also you must avoid contact or eliminate contact with the bacteria (wash hands, don't touch mouth, eyes, face). And even then, you might get it. I myself don't believe in flu shots, but that's just me.

ps. just now looked it up, and apparently the onion trick is an old myth, it's not valid. I'm still trying out it out :)

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 19, 2013

Wash hands with regular soap and water. Avoid touching hands to mouth. Eat well. Get enough rest. Exercise. Get a flu shot. Actually, I get any vaccinations I can. I got the flu and whooping cough ones this year.

I also keep my supplies separate from the student ones. I keep the room clean, but I don't use antibacterial or antiviral products.

Even when I do get sick, it's not too bad.

7. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 19, 2013

I drink green smoothies. I don't juice because I have read that you lose key vitamins when you juice. I invested in a Vitamix blender and it is great. They key is to start adding bananas to your green smoothie. Banana kills the taste of kale. Then as you get used to it, you can add pretty much any fruits and vegetables. There are a ton of recipes online.

I think it has helped my energy levels a lot. And I feel good that I am getting so many more fruits and vegetables. If you really do intend to have a smoothie everyday I highly recommend getting a good blender. Then you don't have to cut anything and it blends much more smoothly.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 19, 2013

According to snopes, the onion tale is false.

Oops. I didn't see where you found that out. Sorry!

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 19, 2013

That's what I was going to say too-you can juice fruit with it to make it taste better. There are tons of recipes out there these days.

I may be wrong, but my understanding wasn't that it lost vitamins when you juice, it's just that you don't have the benefit of the fiber that many fruits and vegetables provide.

John-I think anytime you up the amount of "good stuff" your body is absorbing, you will have a boost to your immune system. Especially if it's not just relying on vitamins but getting it straight from the source!

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 19, 2013

All I know is that although I got the flu shot in late November, I came down with an awful bug the week before last. Haven't been that sick in years (fever, stomach issues, body aches, sore throat, and everything else you can think of)!

Yesterday, 7 of my kiddos were absent. Of the students who were actually present, about 5 had a miserable cough.

We really took it easy yesterday since so many kids were either absent or not feeling well. My poor kids! :(

11. bubbles

bubbles Rookie

Jan 19, 2013

My first two years I was sick constantly throughout the whole winter. I was constantly taking meds, blowing my nose, or washing my hands but would continue to get something else.

Miraculously my third year and up have been much, much better and I only get sick a couple times a year. I think between stress, tiredness, and a weakish immune system my body just couldn't keep up. After I developed some immunities and less tiredness I've done much better at warding off sickness and not staying sick as long.

With that being said, this year's flu season is a doozy. I've had kids out like crazy due to flu or stomach bug. Every day I use clorox wipes to wipe around my desk, the computers, door handles, and anything else that we touch often.

12. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 19, 2013

When I say flu season, I just mean the 'getting sick' season... could just be nasty colds, etc. And yeah--I don't subscribe to juicing thing, not as much for the loss of nutrition part, as for the loss of filler part. I don't want to feel hungry even though I just had a green shake an hour ago. I want it to (at least partially) satisfy my hunger for longer too... so I would get one of those blenders that is made for "juicing".

I appreciate the feedback thus far.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 19, 2013

Try one before buying. I love vegetables, both raw and cooked. Same with fruit. I also like juice. I absolutely HATE smoothies. The texture of smoothies and thick juices literally makes me gag.

I'm glad I tried someone's juicer before I bought one.

14. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 19, 2013

It is fiber, thank you!

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 19, 2013

On the news, I'm sure you saw that they said thisyear, the flu is mre serious than in the past. Five people in my state have actually died. (They're probably talking about the very elderly, very young, etc....I hope!)

My VERY health-conscious mom sent me this email yesterday:

Dr. Oz did an episode on the “FLU” Here is his suggestions:

- Get some Elderberry Tea, drink 4 to 6 cups daily.
    - Use your hand sanitzers, make sure they have ethanol or isopropyl alcohol.

And from my mom herself...
    - make sure you take at least 2 SOS vitamins daily. They are these capsules that need refrigeration. They are Supreme Multi-Strain Adult Probioltic Formula capsules.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2013

I hope? I'm sure you didn't mean that the way it reads. Any loss of life is tragic.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 19, 2013

Well, you know how if anything that isn't generally that serious actually seriously affects a person, it's usually the elderly or young because their immune systems aren't as strong so people who are in good health & generally strong breathe a sigh of relief? Of course I'm not saying I'm "glad" anyone died.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2013

It was probably the 'I hope' part of your po
    Code:

st that lent that impression,but I was so sure you couldn't possibly mean that.
    :love:
    By the way, plenty of 'healthy and strong' individuals have been greatly affected this flu season. I doubt too many are breathing sighs of relief when hospitals have 12 hour emergency room waits and beds in the hallway due to this epidemic...that affects everyone. It's a tough season...stay healthy!

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2013

Like Sue, I use a Vitamix. Add a banana, a bit of pineapple, or another fruit and I PROMISE you will not taste the greens. Without my Vitamix to practically liquify these things, I couldn't eat them...can't take the texture of fruits and veggies.

I doubt these drinks will make you invincible, but it can't hurt.