Columbus, Ohio

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissErin, Jun 6, 2008.

1. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jun 6, 2008

So I thought that we were all fine and dandy moving to Rock Island, Illinois, my husband got a contract position at John Deere and I've been actively searching for a job around this area. WELL to throw a wrench into the system, Honda in Columbus, Ohio has called and offered him his dream job. I have no qualms with going to Ohio other than the fact that I've heard it is quite impossible to get a teaching job there. Is anyone from Columbus or can give me any tips? If I sub a year are the chances of getting a job there higher? I just don't want to be somewhere completely dead-end. I have my Iowa License K-6, a language arts specialization K-8 and then I just finished my reading endorsement K-8. I know that Ohio licenses are way different and I believe that mine would fall under PK-3. If anyone can offer any insight or advice, I would greatly appreciate it! I am a bit apprehensive about him (most likely) taking this job (besides the fact that we just moved our whole life and belongings a week ago, and moving just plain stinks!) because I really want to be a teacher and I don't want to be somwhere where that's not a possibility! Thanks in advance!!!:unsure:

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 6, 2008

It is an extremely tight job market for teachers here in Ohio!

You said that Honda in Columbus offered your husband a job. Is that the one in Marysville? (My husband's brother works at Honda in Anna, OH.)

4. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jun 6, 2008

The job market is horrible here. Worst of all for us with PK-3. The good news is they are talking about extending our license to 6th, I believe, and maybe you wouldn't have to take the additional classes the rest of us will be stuck with. :) The Reading Endorsement should help, but in Ohio it should be K-12.

I know that the area schools are looking for subs for next year, specifically Renoyldsburg City Schools, if that is any help. (This is in the Columbus Metro area. Not a bad district by the accounts I've heard.)

Good luck, and if you end up coming this way, welcome to Ohio. :)

5. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 6, 2008

I live in the next suburb just south of Reynoldsburg. I don't sub in that city - but another sub told me that Reynoldsburg is always looking for subs because the "kids are so terrible there." :( But, I drive through there often and have seen some schools that seem to be in nicer areas - so that might make a difference in behavior issues.

6. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jun 6, 2008

Yes it would be the plant in Marysville. I've looked through some of the school districts and not many seem to be hiring. But Delaware has 1st and 2nd grade openings. I've kind of started looking at the towns that are outside of Columbus. Are those just as hard to get into as the ones immediately around Columbus?? I am hoping that maybe the Honda plant will offer job assitance to spouses.... but they probably don't! Just wishful thinking I suppose!

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 6, 2008

I think that there is a Lutheran school in Marysville.

8. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 6, 2008

I'm down the road a little, Cincinnati, and the market is really tight in almost all areas of Ohio. I transfered in an out of state license and just wanted to say the license office was so helpful! Everyone I talked to was so well informed, and were able to tell me exactly what I needed to do to get my license in Ohio. They were great! :)
    Good luck!

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 7, 2008

First of all, welcome to Cowtown! I've lived here for three years and love it, especially the food. If you want an inside look into the town, check Columbus Underground.

That being said, it can be rough landing that dream job here. I've been subbing around the past couple of years, earning a reputation for my work while deciding where I want to stay. The best resource for an incoming teacher is the Ohio Department of Education website. The job bank on there is impressive (you want to check Delaware and Franklin counties).

Let me know if you have any questions, teaching or otherwise!

10. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 8, 2008

I've heard it is really hard to get a job in Ohio much like Michigan which is where I am from originally and moved to NC for a job but I love it here so it has worked out.

Good luck on the job search in Ohio! :up:

11. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jun 8, 2008

Thanks everyone for all the tips! I will have to contact the licensing office, so I'm glad that they were helpful!! I'm also glad to hear that the food is good, and I think that Columbus has about 40 Baskin Robbins? Big fan of that as well. =) i will check out the department website. Thanks!!!

12. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jun 8, 2008

Can anyone tell me what HQT status is? How do you get this. And FCI Academy- Columbus, Ohio
    Is currently seeking applicants for Highly qualified Teachers in all subject areas for the 2008-2009 school year. Certified and Licensed Candidates please send or Fax resume and cover to tmathis@fci-academy.org fax-614-471-4943 or call 614-471-4527

does that ad mean that you have to have this status? I don't think in Iowa we have an HQT status.

13. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 8, 2008

Highly qualified has to do with No Child Left Behind. The license office should be able to give you more information.

I think that the school you mentioned above is a charter school. Try googling to see if they have a website.

I LOVE Columbus. We are always up there for Ohio State games!

14. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2008

I'm in Columbus and I concur that the job market is tight here. I teach in Columbus City Schools and, as far as I know, our district is pretty much only hiring from within (reassigning teachers due to staff reductions). At least in the elementary area.

However, you never know. I'd put an applicaiton out there in every district. Teachers have until July 10th to inform administrators they aren't coming back, and then some jobs may be posted. I got hired several years ago in late August.

If your husband will be working in Marysville, I'd look at the northwestern suburbs of Franklin County, as well as Delaware County and more rural outlying areas around Marysville.

15. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 8, 2008

My husband and I moved to the Columbus area in October of 2006 when he was transferred from the Dayton area. We really enjoy Columbus! There is so much to do here.

And - Cincinnati is only a couple of hours away. Our son attends the University of Cincinnati, so we go there quite often. Cincy is also a great city! (Except for right now! We went there today and they are having an infestation of cicadas! Aaaah! :eek:)

If you move here, you have to try Graeter's ice cream! Their black raspberry chip is to DIE for! Also, in the downtown Columbus area there is a place called the North Market. They have a bunch of different vendors that sell there. Jeni's ice cream has very unique flavors of ice cream that are delicious!

There are tons of great restaurants here! The Italian and Greek restaurants are plentiful and have great food. (Lots of them are Mom and Pop places with authentic ethnic food.)

How is your husband feeling about moving here?

16. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 8, 2008

I went to Grater's today for my birthday! I LOVE Buckeye Blitz!

17. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 8, 2008

(Happy Birthday, buck8teacher! :party::party::partyhat::partyhat:)

MissErin - I forgot to mention - the shopping is great here in Columbus too! Tuttle Crossing and Polaris are very nice malls! And, the Easton Town Center is a wonderful place to shop (and eat and watch a movie)! Down I-71, are the Jefferson Outlet stores. There's a ton of stores there!

18. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Jun 8, 2008

All I have to say is GOOD LUCK! I was born & raised in Columbus. I moved to NC because of the inability to find a teaching job. I am now moving back to Ohio without a teaching job, and HOPING with some experience that something somewhere will open up. I am not keeping my hopes up though!

19. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 8, 2008

Awww.... I miss Short North!! Used to get my hair done at a place called Waldo's. I wonder if it's still there. It was the coolest hair salon I've ever been in.

Sorry. :hijack: I lived in Columbus for a short time and had to check out this thread! Hard to believe it's so hard to get a teaching job there though. It was such a growing city, I would think new schools would be popping up left and right. Good luck.

20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 8, 2008

Baskin Robbins? Graeter's? We should all meet each other as well as MissErin and introduce her to the wonders of Jeni's Ice Cream! Her Salty Caramel is one of the most famous things about Columbus.

As for your academic question, FCI Academy doesn't have its own website that I could find, but I did find reviews of it on Google. They weren't glowing, unfortunately.

21. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

I guess I'll have to try Grater's and Jeni's Ice Cream.... =) My husband is excited to work for Honda and it is pretty much his dream job. He doesn't want to move (just because we just packed and unpacked and will have to do so again) but we have heard great things about Columbus, and I have researched it's surrounding communities. From what I've seen it looks like a great place to live, and I'm just hoping that there will be a chance for me to get a job!

I'm currently applying to Delaware City Schools, and the hubby thinks that we would try to live around the Dublin area. He heard that that was a really good place to live. Marysville isn't hiring and I can't find anything on the private school websites either. I also love good food, good ice cream and good shopping! I grew up in a suburb of D.C., so I'm more used to living in a big place. Husband, however, is kind of a small town guy. So it will be interesting to see how he deals with the big city. =)

FCI- I looked up the reviews and it seemed like parents liked the school, but from what I read that they were getting Fs in state grades and are on the NCLB emergency list. So I'm not really sure about that one, but they are looking for elementary teachers.

Sevenplus- how long was your job search in Columbus? I will definitely start putting my application everywhere and cross my fingers I guess. Maybe Honda will have some school connections that will help me out... =)

22. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 9, 2008

Here's what I found about the Lutheran school in Marysville.
    Trinity Lutheran School
    220 S. Walnut St.
    Marysville, OH 43040
    Phone: 937-642-1726
    Fax: 937-642-1875
    Latchkey: 937-642-1852
    http://www.trinitymarysville.org/church/index.htm

Dublin is a LOVELY city! You would enjoy living there! Of course, they have a HUGE St. Patrick's Day celebration.
    And -it's fairly close to the Columbus Zoo.

23. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 9, 2008

I think there's also a decent British style tea shop there. Biddie's, or something like that.

24. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2008

I was hired immediately in Columbus, but that was back in 1999. Back then there was not the job shortage there is now.

Ironically, two friends who teach at my school both have husbands who work for Honda.

25. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

That's funny, when my husband mentioned something about teaching jobs during his interview, the HR person said she knew of two people who had wives who were teachers. I wonder if your friends are the ones that she was talking about. I would think that there may be more than just two wives who were teachers, but maybe not!

Why is there such a job shortage now anyway?

26. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

GLENDALL....Okay, now I want to move there. I am an ICE CREAM FANATIC!!! :eek:

27. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 9, 2008

From what I could tell (this happened as I moved here), enrollment in Columbus Public Schools dropped precipitously in 2006 with roughly ten teachers citywide qualifying for an early retirement. This resulted in hundreds of layoffs. Those experienced teachers all hit the suburbs for work.

It's starting to ease up and there is definitely work available, but it's easiest to find a job after you've been a substitute for at least a year. The best way to get started on subbing while you're transferring your current license to Ohio is to get a substitute license through the county Educational Service Center. They'll even get you assigned to multiple districts.

28. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 10, 2008

Here - this will make your mouth water!

GRAETER'S ICE CREAM WEBSITE

http://www.graeters.com/

29. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jun 10, 2008

This might be a highjack...I don't know if this is just my county or if it is statewide, but for awhile retired teachers could be"rehired" and the school district did not have to pay for their insurance since they were covered by the state due to retirement. Consequently, this allowed good and bad teachers to remain in the system. This isn't the cause for teacher job shortages, but it has contributed. I know that now, after two years of re-employment, the school district is once again required to pick-up the insurance coverage for these retired teachers. My school and several other local schools have decided to let these teachers go. Hopefully, this will create open positions. Sorry for the highjack.

P.S. Checkout the Powell school district. They have built many new schools due to the growth in that area.

30. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2008

If I'm not mistaken, Powell lies within the Olentangy School district. It is one of the "growing" districts.

31. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 10, 2008

My husband's niece graduated from The Ohio State University with a bachelor's degree - and then got her master's at Urbana University. Last year she tried to get hired with Olentangy - and did not get a job with them.

32. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jun 10, 2008

Thanks. I do not live in Columbus and I'm not familiar with the different districts. I do go to Columbus quite often for shopping, concerts, etc.

33. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jun 10, 2008

Thanks, I'll give it a look! And thanks for explaining the teacher defecit to me! =) We find out on Friday if we're moving for sure and when we will be moving. So I will start to do all the licensure stuff then and hopefully it won't be too difficult of a process. I had looked into it previously but I'll have to look again. I think that there is an early childhood praxis test that I will have to take. (I've taken 2 required for Iowa, but not an early childhood one.)

Now does Graeter's have anything like Daquiri Ice- which they have at Baskin Robbins? Because that is my favorite. We do have many Whitey's ice cream places here which are REALLY good. But I still miss the DI from Baskin Robbins.

34. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 10, 2008

I didn't have to take an additional Praxis exams for my Ohio license, my scores were high enough that they were accepted. Even though I didn't take the early childhood one.

35. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jun 10, 2008

Which Praxis did you take? I took the Praxis II test that was on teaching methods instead of content area. It would be nice if I didn't have to take it. I will call the office and find out for sure what I need to do.

36. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Jun 10, 2008

I am from Columbus, and I have visited FCI twice now for class field experience.

I do not recommend this school, I'm not sure if it was the teaccher I was placed with or not, but I was not impressed at all.

The school used to be named "Sunshine Academy."

None of the teachers that were teaching the first time I was there, and that I got to know, were there the second time.

I just do not recommend it. If you are interested, I strongly suggest that you go observe the location and maybe try to sit in on a class. It is in a bad area as well.

37. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jun 10, 2008

Thanks for the insider information! I may not apply for that school district from what you've said and what I've read in reviews and such!

38. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 10, 2008

I took
    0014-Elementary Education Core Content Knowledge
    0522-Principals of Teaching and Learning k-6

39. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jun 10, 2008

I took 0011 which is Principles of Learning and Teaching or something along those lines. My computer froze while I was on the website looking it up, so I don't want to go back if it happens again! =) It sounds similar to 522 but I don't know if they will accept it or not.

40. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jun 10, 2008

Miss Erin,

Welcome to the buckeye state! Though it is definitely hard to get a job here, I think there are many things you will come to love - including the food! :)

I am not certain what advice I can give you in regards to the job market. I have heard that subbing is definitely the way in, as long as you pick the right district. Around here, some districts are known to not hire their "good" subs......b/c they don't want to lose them! If you do end up going the subbing route, I would highly recommend researching the districts beforehand. Call them and explicitly ask, "do you hire your subs for permanent positions?"

I am also going to advise you to be VERY LEARY of charter schools. I have worked in two over the last four years, and they are very different from public schools. I do not want to do a lot of explicit bashing on here.....so please p/m me if you have any specific ques. about these type of schools. If you do end up going this route, plan to ask LOTS of ques. during the interview - and run, don't walk, if anything seems not right (just kidding! kind of....)

Good luck w/your next move and job search here in Ohio - we're glad to have another great teacher!! :)

Meri

41. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jun 10, 2008

Thanks so much for the welcome!! I will take your advice and be very leary of the charter schools, from what I've read online they do not seem to be the best places. I will most likely end up subbing in the districts for a year (hopefully just a year anywho) and will look into the hiring of subs! I definitely want to be a good sub... but not one who can't get a job because the district doesn't want to lose good subs!

If anyone else has any suggestions for where or where NOT to sub in and around Columbus, I'd love to know! I am excited about moving there, it seems like a great place to live!