columbus day

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Iris228, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Oct 3, 2008

What if anything are you guys doing for columbus day. I know we have off for it so I was going to address it briefly-with it being so controversial and difficult for young children to understand I don't want to get into the history of it too much. Just looking for cute activities/crafts/books.

3. jackie

jackie Rookie

Oct 7, 2008

We just read aloud a scholastic type of book about Columbus sailing with the 3 ships, the trials of the voyage, and how he discovers land. You can download a printable page with anything from Columbus himself, to the three ships. I just share why we take the Monday off, give a brief history through the reading of the book, and that's it!

4. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Oct 7, 2008

We do not have off but I still do a few activities for it. We read a simple book or 2 then do a main idea page as a whole group (by the end of the year students are expected to complete main idea pages independently as a core assessment). Typically the main idea is something like "Columbus was a determined explorer". I will do it on an over head with them. After that I have this cute columbus color cute and glue activity that will end up looking like columbus is holding the main idea page. It will be about 2 1/2 feet long. We are doing this tomorrow and on Friday.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 7, 2008

We sing a song called 1492 which is about how people were here and America was not discovered by Columbus, but that he was still courageous.

We will discuss who he was and why it's a holiday, but also talk a bit about the Native Americans who were here first.

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Oct 8, 2008

I read a Columbus book Monday and one Tuesday in place of some morning work. Today we will write some facts as a class on chart paper. Tomorrow and Friday, we will make a popup book that has the three ships that they color on the inside and and three facts written on linepaper. The cover has a faraway picture of the ships sailing.

A great idea is for them to write a want ad from Columbus's point of view, for sailors.

You can talk about what life must have been like on the ships and then get it in the ad. You can make a Want Ad poster easily in word by using the autoshapes and choosing the scroll.

Wanted 100 strong men to sail the ocean blue. Must not have fear of sharks. Must be willing to mop the deck and have a love of parrots. etc

We did this last year in a class I was LTSing in and it was awesome. I just don't have time to get it in.

7. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Oct 8, 2008

Thanks for the ideas guys! Any suggestions for books? I teach first and am having trouble finding a good one.

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Oct 8, 2008

David A Adler has great Bios for kids. Most are called A Picture Book About __________________.

9. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Oct 8, 2008

Yes I've seen those, I'll check it out thanks!:D

10. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2008

I did some Columbus day activities today. We are off tomorrow and then Friday staff development day and Monday off. I found a really cute poem that I used for shared reading today about Columbus. It didn't say he discovered America but just talked about his voyage etc. which I thought was appropriate. We sang a song about Columbus and then the kids made the Santa Maria. We just took a popsicle stick and a small template of a ship, and sail and they glued them to the stick. Then I cut a slit in a white piece of construction paper and colored the bottom blue so it looks like the ship is sailing in the Ocean.