Coloring Skills

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mudpie1598, Sep 18, 2010.

1. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Sep 18, 2010

Hi,

I know this may sound like an extremely silly question, but how do you teach your prek/Kinder students to color? Do you outline the object on paper with the crayon and tell them not to cross the border and only color inside? Any advice would be appreciated. There's a TA who watches me and critiques everything I do. A good thing, because I never really questioned my teaching skills.

Thanks again.

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 19, 2010

We let our students color by drawing their own journals. The state would say it is developmentally inappropriate to have students color in the lines.

4. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Sep 19, 2010

I don't think it is neccesary to focus so much on the colouring as in the side aspects of colouring (such as how they are holding their pen or what they are colouring/drawing if they add to the picture, writing/making an attempt to write their name on the picture, etc.). If they do not colour inside the lines, no big deal. You are only young once and perhaps the most interesting parts are outside the lines :).

5. whatup212

whatup212 Rookie

Sep 20, 2010

You don't. I think that there are so many guidelines that we have students stick to while working on art projects--cut on the line, write your name on the back, glue here, only little dots of glue, etc.--- I think coloring should be free. They can be the ones to decide that coloring in the lines is what they want to do. I think it's appropriate to guide some coloring habits though, like not putting out black crayons if they are doing a coloring page, so the picture actually stays visible. In my class, we do art time as a station while playtime is going on, so I had a few kids last year who would try to race through their projects so they could return to their free play. For them, I would need to repeatedly remind them to take their time and do the best work they could--but creativity was always encouraged!

6. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 20, 2010

Interesting thoughts. I never thought about it that way, but it really makes sense! Especially since as they get older, the teachers will make them do it their way anyway, so we may as well give them the freedom while they can still have it!

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2010

I totally agree.

One would go even farther to say that coloring pages are inappropriate. I only put out blank paper for the children in my space to use for coloring. They make their own designs and decide whether or not to color them in.

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2010

Same here - not considered appropriate.

9. Ms.Titwillow

Ms.Titwillow Rookie

Sep 21, 2010

Sometimes instead of white paper I will have a drawing. I will color part of one so that the ones that are ready to start coloring in the lines can see a sample. The ones that aren't ready won't even notice!

10. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Sep 21, 2010

What is the purpose of coloring? If art is the purpose, then let them use crayons as desired on plain paper. If strengthening their fingers for future writing skills is the purpose, there are many other options available.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 22, 2010

For preschoolers, art is a process, not a product. Allow them to explore the media.

12. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 22, 2010

:thumb:
    and no coloring books.....

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 22, 2010

I've had kids that begged for pictures... so we gave them the scrap paper... when we deeded to enlarge or reduce pictures or make extra copies so we could run multiple on the same page it was neat sometimes to see them color it, cut it out, and glue it somewhere else... and the ones that weren't ready would ignore the picture all together, or color on the backside of them.

14. preteach

preteach Rookie

Sep 22, 2010

I agree that children should be given blank paper to express themselves how they wish, however, I do some "coloring" with my class. I don't make a big deal about the lines, but I might say "do your best work" or something like that and watch to see who is staying in the lines. While not developmentally appropriate by the standards, I do feel that I am doing the ones who will be moving on to K a disservice by not showing them that sometimes they are expected to "stay in the lines". Otherwise, what happens next year when the K teacher expects this and they have always just done as they wish. I welcome thoughts on this or how others balance the 2 philosophys.

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 22, 2010

I balance it by staying true to my beliefs. Preschool children are not developmentally ready--their small muscles are not developed to color within the lines. When they get to K, their muscles have usually developed enough. It is like asking a baby bird to fly before his wings are strong enough.