Colored pencils and markers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by AngelM, Jul 11, 2007.

1. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Okay, I have a question for you all. I will be teaching 2nd for the first time this fall. I am wondering how many of you stock markers and colored pencils in your classroom. At first, I was thinking that I was not going to plan to buy these. I have a few boxes left from the teacher who had my room previously and thought I could put these out when we have Art Center.

Now that I'm seeing these great deals at Wal-Mart, I'm wondering if I need to reconsider and buy a bunch of these. Do you all use them for student work? I just dread the mess involved with markers. And, possibly even worse, I dread the sharpening issues that go along with colored pencils!! :rolleyes:

What do you think??

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2007

My kids bring their own- it's on my supply list I send home. One box of markers, a box of colored pencils or crayons.

4. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jul 11, 2007

I understand your reluctance about them. For the last few years I allowed markers in my room but last year was it for me. There was constant fighting about who had them and who wouldn't share. I had my own and they wouldn't put caps back on them and the colored pencil sharpening was always a problem.

I do plan on having different activities when we will use the pencils but on my students school supply list I said NO MARKERS;)

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 11, 2007

I like them for fourth grade.

Last year I waited until late in the summer, and Office Depot had their colored pencils and markers for $.25 a box; so I am holding out and hope I luck out again this year.

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 11, 2007

Markers, crayons, and colored pencils (which are optional) are on the student's supply list. I do have a supply of sharpies that I keep in my desk for outlining. Kids get one when they need it and return it. I have not had any problems with this system. I also have a tub where lost crayons are put. Anyone needing a specific color can look for it there and then return it. If an emergency arises I do have several boxes of both markers and crayons I can give out.

7. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Jul 11, 2007

I buy a bunch of thin markers and colored pencils for my writing area. This area is stocked with paper, envelopes, pens, etc. The kids are aloud to use these items for writing only. No coloring. They may use these items when finished with all of their work. I often catch them writing stories, letters, etc.

8. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 11, 2007

Since the crayons and markers are so inexpensive at Wal-Mart, I just stock up on a class set of each. I teach 5th so they tend to be a little more responsible. I also teach at a Title I school. I supply just about everything I think they would need for my class.

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 11, 2007

They are so cheap why not stock up. We dump them in plastic boxes with a lids. There are plenty for everybody to have a red or whatever at the same time. Pencils in one, colors in another, markers in another and we get extra glue and lead pencils, because everybody runs out around Christmas.

10. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

I think it just comes down to personal preference. I don't really like markers and colored pencils, but will probably have some on hand for special activities.

11. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Thanks for the input. Sounds like it really is a personal preference. Bookworm, I like your idea of using them in a writing center.

I think my biggest issue with colored pencils is the nightmare of trying to sharpen them. I remember when I was subbing, the kids would be using them and always needed help sharpening them. I also remember standing at the sharpener grinding away at those things and them never sharpening!! ARRGH!!! Maybe if I use them I need to buy a bunch of those little hand-held plastic sharpeners. :)

12. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 11, 2007

I teach first grade (taught 3rd last year) and I always stock up on colored pencils, markers, crayons and glyesticks when walmart is having their sales. My students know that the may use markers either to outline or on pictures that are very small. the always ask for permission to use the markers. As for the colored pencils, they are community shared. at the end of the day, one person from each table is respinsible for sharpening all types of pencils. hope this helps.

ps. i also have a community marker and crayon bin, so if someone looses their red, then can get one to keep in their own crayon box.

13. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 11, 2007

(Happy Birthday, Superteacher!)

In my Kinder class, we use markers for special occasions, like decorating gift bags (Mother's Day, etc.) or coloring great, bright pictures for class books or other art projects. I tend to be picky about them too, so we don't use them every day...students have a hard time remembering the consequences of not replacing caps!! But they make beautiful designs with the brighter-than-crayons-or-pencils tools!

P.S. I bought eight packs of markers (88 cents ea) at WalMart yesterday, and 8 bottles of glue (20 cents ea).