Colorado reforms tenure

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by smalltowngal, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jun 14, 2010

Thank you for sharing, Purplecrazy. I am in TN and we did win the first round. I am sure it was based on our overhaul too. To be honest after hearing from a state dept of ed, I am still confused as to what will be expected of us. I am mostly concerned on how growth in K will be determined. Like you, I had some with Prek and some who were blank slates. My lowest student did show growth but not enough to be sent to first grade.

2. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2010

I'm too upset over something totally unrelated to continue with this thread.

Not a temper tantrum, just opting out.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2010

Alice~totally understand!

4. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jun 14, 2010

Do we need tenure?

Yes, to protect teachers from incompetent administrators who target teachers they dislike, regardless of their teaching ability. It may not be a situation you are familiar with, but I can assure you there are many principals who abuse their position of power.

Do we need to get rid of incompetent teachers?

A resounding yes. I have first hand knowledge of a teacher who is incompetent by anyone's standards and has been teaching for over 35 years. This teacher has affected over 1,000 children in her career.

How can we protect good teachers and get rid of bad ones? I don't know the answer to that.

5. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 14, 2010

schoolteacher - Bravo! Well-stated.

6. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jun 14, 2010

I have a question. I agree that some admin target certain teachers and I agree that is a bad thing. But doesn't that happen in other professions? Don't managers and bosses in other industries have the potential to be just as vengeful? Their employees aren't protected. They do what they have to do to please the employer, they leave, or they are fired and try to move on. Why should teachers have more protection than the rest of the population?

And I'm seriously asking for answers. I have a friend in another field who deals with an INSANE boss and is frightened she will be let go. She has no protection, yet a teacher would.

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 14, 2010

You didn't ask me, but I do know one reason. If a teacher did what they had to to please the superiors, they could be putting the children's needs in jeopardy. In my old career (marketing), if I did what the boss wanted even when I didn't agree with it, it usually meant I felt angry and annoyed, and maybe we sold fewer products. No children were involved. Teachers have to be advocates for students first.

8. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jun 15, 2010

I was asking everyone. Thanks for responding :)

9. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jun 15, 2010

In a "work at will" or right to work" state like ours, very few people have job security. That makes me appreciate my tenure all the more.

My husband was a victim of a vengeful boss and lost his job after 18 yrs. He was also one of the most highly paid due to his yrs on the job. He was replaced by someone less expensive to employee.

How many other professionals spend as much time and effort into getting their degrees? Doctors, lawyers and accountants can start their own practices. Its very hard for teachers to do the same.

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2010

One thing to remember is that in most professions, you get a measure of job security from the fact that if they let you go, they have to replace you right away.

With teachers, they have all summer to find someone to take your place.

11. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 15, 2010

What? They are in my state.

12. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 15, 2010

Sarge,
    Very well said!!!!!! I especially like how you put into perspective the "steps" with the promotional aspect of other fields because this is very true. I still work in the corp. field in addition to teaching, so I am aware of this first hand. One generally cannot be fired out right from the corp world because their salary is too high. Another poster mentioned that people in other fields can be let go because their pay is too high. Not out right and I know this from first hand experience.

13. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jun 15, 2010

But in a right to work state one can be let go if the boss doesn't like the color of your shirt, your hair cut or for basically any or no reason. Much like a nontenured teacher, a reason doesn't have to be given. This I know from personal experience. My husband wasn't let go because he was highly paid although many other highly paid employees were also let go within weeks of each other. When the dust had settled, they started hiring new employees for less pay or using temps for even lesser pay and no benefits.

This is the sort of thing that tenure protects us from.

14. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 15, 2010

I don't live in a right to work state. However, there are many, many non-unionized corps, lets just say. At least in my experience, there were certain limits of legality in terms of termination without good reason. This does not apply to downsizing measures. To those who have tenure and don't like it, would you agree to give it up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.