Color Choice - What colors do you have? Do you think colors impact learning?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CrayolaCrayon, Aug 20, 2014.

1. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Aug 20, 2014

After a lot of browsing on Pinterest, I ended up visiting a number of blogs. Many of these blogs featured the typical Pinterest classroom: an obvious color scheme with every label and decoration matching that. These classrooms look simple, cohesive and appealing. One of these blogs mentioned a few research articles that concluded blue and green are the best colors for a classroom, which matched the blue/green trend I have been noticing. The same research often mentioned simplicity. There are so many articles on color psychology, specific to the classroom, and it all got me thinking if color can make such a big impact for our students.

What colors do you have in your classroom? Do you have a color scheme, or do you have a mix of colors? Did you put a lot of thought into your classroom decor? Do you think a cohesive and color coordinated classroom helps students learn and focus? I'd love to hear the rationale behind your classroom decor!

CrayolaCrayon

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 20, 2014

I think colors and decorations can have a huge impact on learning environment. They distract me for sure. I have a color scheme, mostly cool colors, and I am going to keep in mind the blue and green scheme that you mentioned.

Any chance you have the link to the blog post you found?

4. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 20, 2014

That's so funny because I'm doing a lime green, bright light blue and black (for contrast) scheme. I wanted something light bright and airy. That and I have a male co teacher so I don't think he'll appreciate my desire for pink and purple. Lol

The last classroom I working in was poorly decorated, it made the room seem dark and drab. I think having a scheme of coordinating color creates an inviting environment.

I want my room to feel like a happy place so that it will be one.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 21, 2014

I always go for color schemes. My room is actually painted a light green shade. I've decorated in blues - mostly dark blue - with white and pops of yellow. I really love how it's turned out.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2014

My walls are cream-coloured (all walls in the school are the same). My bulletin boards (2) are backed in black and have black/neon borders. I've added pops of colour with brightly coloured bins and storage drawers.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2014

I think too much stuff can be distracting. I'm not sure that a coordinated classroom helps kids focus, but I like things to look like they fit.

I do a 'bright' color scheme. Bright blue, a limeish green, pink, purple, and orange with black or gray. Most things in my room fit the color scheme. It is not super matchy-matchy because most things can be found in blue, green, and pink. The purple and orange are trickier to find- unless you spend a ton of money. I don't have a ton of money! Some premade posters don't necessarily fit my 'color scheme', but most do or come close. Honestly, the reason behind my 'color scheme' is the fact that I hate primary colors and I don't have enough money to make it a 2 color scheme :lol: (Which is why I loosely use the term color scheme!) It pains me to say this, but I put up a red border yesterday. Ouch. I have a huge spot on my wall where they painted around something, and that something is so longer there. To cover it up, I put up a poster and had to trim it with a border to cover the whole spot. The only poster that I had big enough was red based. So I had to stick up a red border.

One of my pet peeves is sticking posters up just to have something up. I have an old teammate that would do this. They'd be up so high that you couldn't even read it when standing under it. Most of my posters are quote based.

8. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 21, 2014

JEEZ Bunnie, I'm doing almost the same!!!! I got lime green backing paper with black and multi-colored polka dotted letters and small blue letters for my word wall!!!!! The borders are different colors, though (someone got them for me). But yea, those colors I feel will make it a fun and light classroom. When I looked for backing paper, I wanted something bright, but still presents contrast to paper that is being hung up! I have no co-teacher but I do have boys in the classroom!

9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 21, 2014

Haha how funny :lol:

My borders are black with sparkly multicolored stars. My letters are called stained glass which is outlined in black and multicolored.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 21, 2014

I'm using shades of our school colors.

11. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 21, 2014

I've seen the stained glass letters! Those are nice. Yea I got some borders with different colors, and then I got some zebra print ones. It's going to be very interesting!

12. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Aug 21, 2014

soft lime green, and sky blue. Porter Paint Livin' Large and Song Bird are my colors. I just painted this summer.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 21, 2014

I have blues and greens, mainly because of brain research but also because I love them.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2014

My walls, as are the walls of all the classrooms in my wing, are a buttery yellow. I'm not theme-y...nor will I spend my own money or time painting a classroom. I'm driven by content. Student work is on my walls and BBs...not cute color coordinated stuff...my room is bright, light, beautiful and celebrates student learning...if anything, that's my 'theme'.:2cents:

15. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 21, 2014

Colors could have effect, if used in a context. However, these days, they colorize EVERYTHING. I was just at the teacher supply store, and I felt my corneas burning, from so much brightness in the store.

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 21, 2014

My classroom is blue and green. I chose the colors because of the brain research that shows they are calming colors. You may have come across my classroom on Pinterest-it's been pinned quite a bit. ;)

17. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Aug 21, 2014

I have enjoyed reading your responses!

Otterpop, I don't remember the link because I was clicking from site to site. If I happen to come across it again, I will post it here.

MrsC, the way you described your classroom reminds me of this: http://tunstalltimes.blogspot.com/2014/08/classroom-tour-2014-2015.html - It's such a modern, simple, and fun classroom design! Maybe you can find some more inspiration to match your decor.

I decided to go with turquoise, lime green, black, and white. Maybe some pops of yellow here and there. I had honestly never considered black and white in the classroom because like many elementary teachers, I think "color, color, color." However, after looking at classroom decor online, I realized I love the contrast that black and white provide. My plan is to get turquoise and/or lime green fabric for the bulletin boards, and to use black and white borders. I saw some great ones online (zebra, chevron) and hope to find them in the teacher store!

I'm a very indecisive person so having a set color scheme will help me with decisions all year. Instead of standing in the isle debating if I should get something in pink or turquoise, I will be able to quickly decide!

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2014

That classroom is very much "me" CrayolaCrayon--I love it!

19. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Aug 22, 2014

:whistle: I painted my walls because nearly every wall was a different color. I had a slate blue, tan, and sick peach color. It was gross. It hadn't been painted since 1969 when the wing was built. Chunks of paint the size of fist were falling off. I took my time, all 7hrs of it, to paint my room because that is where I spend the majority of my life. I didn't want to look at that peach anymore. In fact, the whole school was repainted by teachers and parents one Saturday. My room is matchy because I want it to be. My room was adorable before Pinterest or Instagram even existed because that is who I am. I have anchor charts and student work everywhere on my beautiful new walls.

20. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Aug 22, 2014

I can't do more than a few colors. A lot of teachers were painting each wall a different color then accenting with another. I just couldn't do that. I did my three main walls one color and my back wall, that is actually more bathrooms, sink, and cubbies than wall, another color. I have another color for the trim on my 10 bulletin boards in my classroom. And thats it. 3 colors.

21. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2014

I decided NOT to use any primary colors this year because I have always felt uncomfortable around all the brightness. This year, I've decided to keep it simple with black, purple, and white. I am getting a few faux plants this weekend because, for some reason, plants in my school always attract fruit flies! ugh!!!