Color blindness

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by JayR, Sep 8, 2010.

1. JayR

JayR Rookie

Sep 8, 2010

I recently observed an elementary school Spanish teacher hold up four pictures and ask in Spanish, "Which is the red house?" I successfully translated the Spanish, but I could not correctly answer the question, because I am somewhat colorblind, especially (but not exclusively) between red and green.

My guess is most kids are not tested for colorblindness, and have no idea that they are. The teachers don't know either. And the Spanish teacher would have assumed that my Spanish is faulty for choosing the wrong answer.

And pity the kid who colors his picture with red for the grass because he can't see that it is wrong. Imagine the other kids ridiculing him.

In case you are wondering, I stop my car for the top traffic light, although I would not swear it is red. A single flashing light gives me trouble. My clothes are mostly blues, which I recognize, although I have trouble with brown/green, blue/purple, and a few other combinations. I won't be working part-time selling house paint or cosmetics.

So, a word to the wise is be aware that you may have some colorblind kids. If color differences are important in your teaching, try to use safe colors. Here's some help:

http://jfly.iam.u-tokyo.ac.jp/color/

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2010

The school nurses test for that here either in k or 1st.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 8, 2010

And even when students are aware of their color blindness, they do not always let the teacher know. I have had two high schoolers in my geography classes years ago who were color blind. Maps are kinda hard to interpret when you are color blind :) I am not sure they would have ever told me if not for the fact I had to redirect them to work on their own while doing a map study and ANOTHER student informed me "But Joe is color blind. He can't read the map." I felt terrible :(

5. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2010

I had a few difficulties in school with color-blindness myself, though I think the awareness is changing.

My first was with an intelligence test that relied heavily on color. Fortunately I was too young for it to be stressful (not being able to answer the ridiculous questions didn't bother me), though I did rather poorly on it.

6. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Sep 8, 2010

Our school nurse also tests all our kids for colorblindness. She also tests all the kids vision and hearing every year.

7. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 8, 2010

My dad is color blind. So--it is always in the back of my mind when I watch kiddos use/name colors. :)

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2010

My dad is also color blind- it's a recessive gene so it shows up mostly in males. The kids I've taught who were color blind were already identified.

9. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Sep 8, 2010

My husband is color blind and never would admit to other people. He would rather pretend that he knows what it is, when in reality I have to pick out his clothes for him. I knew of a boy who was put in special ed because he did not know colors in elementary school.

10. glen

glen Companion

Sep 9, 2010

My sons are both VERY colorblind. They also were identified early on. I don't remember if I specifically asked at some point because I suspected it and it runs in the family (my maternal grandfather, two of my three brothers). My boys are both in high school now and it's never been an issue, other than their inability to match their clothes!

11. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Sep 9, 2010

I know it runs on my mom's side of the family. I know my Grandpa is color blind. It skipped my Mom and my Aunt. It didn't show up in my sister or me; but my Aunt had two boys, one of my cousins is color blind- he can see Yellow (which is his favorite color!) I'm not sure if it's an issue with him at school or not.

12. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2010

Basically, the reason it runs on the Mom's side, and shows up more often in males, is because it's a recessive gene on the X chromosome. The X chromosome is much longer than the Y chromosome (reference awesome biologist's Mother's Day vid song), and thus certain recessive genes on the X cannot be compensated for in males -- including the gene for color vision and male pattern baldness. For females to be colorblind, they would need two copies of the recessive gene.

13. JayR

JayR Rookie

Sep 9, 2010

I'm delighted to hear colorblindness is tested early on. Nevertheless, the Spanish teacher I observed did not consider this as he created his lesson, and I wonder how many students would have raised their hands and said, "I understand that rojo is red, but I can't figure out from the pictures which one is red."

I am actually just back from an annual physical where I told the nurse, "Don't bother checking me for colorblindness - it probably hasn't improved since last year."

14. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 10, 2010

That's one of te things that we would ask parents to report on the health forms when they enroll their children, and something they screen for during our vision exams... so I would think that if the teacher knew about it, he or she would make every effort to accomodate it... perhaps the teacher knew that none of his students were affected :)

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 10, 2010

The school nurse tests for it here. My husband has complete color blindness. He sees in shades of gray.